Sunday, May 14, 2006

Le Samourai And Alison Krauss

Yesterday, I watched a DVD I got for Christmas called Le Samourai. It's from the Criterion Collection and was directed by Jean-Pierre Melville in 1967. The movie is about a French hit man who is cool as ice on and off the job. The movie was both engaging and edgy with its jazzy sense of style and anti hero theme. I was impressed how the movie got me to root for the guy even though he was a killer who hardly talks to anyone. If anyone likes the early Sean Connery Bond films (pre-Goldfinger), I would recommend this movie.

Also, I saw the video for Alison Krauss' "If I Didn't Know Any Better" on CMT. Being an Asian American, I never really felt I could connect with Country Music. Maybe I'm getting old, but it now sounds good sometimes and my favorite country artist is Alison Krauss. She has a yearning, breathy quality to her voice and her band Union Station backs her with a high degree of musicianship in their playing. "If I Didn't Know Any Better" is a lush country ballad performed with bluegrass instruments.

Well, Family Guy (my favorite TV show) is on so it's time to go.

No comments: