Wednesday, June 21, 2006

My wife and Number 86

Well, I've been doing a blog for at least a month and realized I never wrote about the person who suggested I do a blog: my wife Jeannie. My wonderful wife suggested I write a blog as a hobby and I have enjoyed writing this immensely since I started a little while ago. So, I just wanted to take a moment to thank my wife for motivating me to create a blog and for everything else we share in our lives.

Now, without any subliminal foreshadowing, is Number 86:

Aerosmith - Pump (1989)

Although Toys In The Attic and Rocks are considered the classic albums from this Boston quintet, Pump is the album responsible for making Aerosmith the rock legends they are today. After flaming out in a spiral of bad albums and drugs in the late 70's, Aerosmith regrouped and forged a comeback in 1987 with the hit "Dude (Looks Like A Lady) and the album Permanent Vacation. But it was Pump that put the band into rock legend territory, as they came up with an album that was both commercially successful and artistically satisfying. After Pump, Aerosmith became regarded to be "America's Band", like the Dallas Cowboys once were in football.

Led by lead vocalist Steven Tyler and guitarist Joe Perry, Aerosmith's comeback hit its stride by giving first rate performances while writing a batch of songs that had the gritty Rolling Stones style blues boogie and the hooky polish of 80's hair band metal. The taut rhythm section of Joey Kramer, Tom Hamilton and Brad Whitford groove and swing with force and feeling while Perry's blues guitar breaks kicks the band into overdrive. Tyler howls and yelps in his trademark style while teaming up with outside songwriters to form their catchiest set of songs ever.

"Love In An Elevator", the first single and my favorite song from the album, showcases everything that's great about Aerosmith. The down and dirty blues riff, Tyler's vocal alternating between the sleazy and the humorous and a killer staccato guitar solo. This isn't just a favorite Aerosmith song, it's one of my favorite songs ever.

The rest of the album charges along with the power of a band on a roll. The anti-child abuse anthem "Janie's Got A Gun" displayed a rare show of social awareness while following the format of a power ballad. "Hoodoo Voodoo Medicine Man" and "Young Lust" speed along with the force and ease that only Aerosmith could do. The band give the power ballad "What It Takes" some looseness and feel to the obligatory love song. "The Other Side" moves to a great riff and some fiery horn charts. Even better, "F.I.N.E." revs up the group with a jaunty rhythm and a slammin' vocal from Steve Tyler.

My personal recollections from this album is that it became one of those 80's albums everyone had to had. Aerosmith put their best foot forward with great songs, an energized performance and clear production. The summer of '89 was highlighted by "Love In An Elevator" and "Janies' Got A Gun". "Elevator" I would watch on MTV whenever I had the chance. "Gun" was so good that even nonfans could not believe Aerosmith would tackle child abuse. Still, it was a great sounding song.

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

You are so sweet! I love you honey!

Hey...at one time, this album would have been on my top 100 too. It's a great rockin' album!