Monday, October 16, 2006

Tae Guk Gi or whatever its called and Number 66


By chance, I happened to start watching Tae Guk Gi-Brotherhood of War. For some reason I can't remember, I keep seeing this title or DVD cover around so I thought I would see what the big deal is about. It's a Korean movie about the Korean War (suddenly a little topical) told from the perspective of two brothers: One strong and big hearted but of average intelligence and the other a little sickly but very intelligent. When the war starts, both find themselves involuntarily drafted into the South Korean Army and fighting in the front lines. The older, stronger brother makes a deal with his CO that if he can get a medal of honor he can send his younger weaker brother home.

The older brother wins the medal of honor but becomes ruthlessly partisan and cold as a result. The younger brother rebels against the older brother and things come to a head when they visit home between missions. I won't give away more in case you should decide to see this flick.

Tae Guk Gi is an involving film that borrows a lot from Saving Private Ryan (fighting to save a family amid an even bigger war plus gory detail in the shootings and explosions) and even Glory (chaotic battle scenes and a lot of fistfights and bayonnets in the trenches). Despite the obvious influences, Tae Guk Gi finds its own voice in the doomed melodrama between the brothers. Like any melodrama, plausability can get a little stretched but fine acting (that gets across even with the bad english dubbing job), confident direction and epic action scenes gets the story across.

Interestingly, the director of this movie may have out Spielberged Spielberg by revelling in tearjerking melodrama throughout the movie. Spielberg has tried to keep his mushy heart hidden in much of his recent "mature" work until its time for the BIG ENDING. This movie dives in and doesn't stop prodding you with tragedy until you're waist deep in it.

In the end, I kept thinking about how this is "the front" that MASH was always talking about. They were right, the front is hell. With recent political events, we may end up revisiting this place figuritively and literally. Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself for the benefit of everyone.

I can't think of a good transition, so here's Number 66:

The Smiths - The Singles (1995)

In the 80's, I didn't have any concept of what The Smiths were other than a few confusing posters with weird images that had no meaning to me. When I got to college, all my floormates could talk about was "Morrissey this or Morrissey that." I became so saturated by it that I actively hated the Smiths, even though I didn't know any of their songs. People talked about Morrissey like he was the last say in everything and I thought anyone who inspired that kind of behavior is...really annoying.

A few years ago, I decided to branch out into listening other bands than my usual Foreigner and Journey discs and gave the Smiths a proper listening. I found that I like the Smiths a lot. Not to the worshipping level of my dormmates, but at least I could relate a little. Morrissey's crooning, affected vocals over chiming guitars and a solid rhythm section created music that was both timeless and dated in that BIG 80's kind of way.

I enjoyed the odd perversity of the lyrics for "Girlfriend in a Coma" ,"Shoplifters Of The World Unite" and "Panic" (with the chant "hang the DJ!"). Finally, I saw what the big deal was about Morrissey. Morrissey comes across as, well, a self pitying drama queen though I mean that in a good way. The songtitles are filled with self lacerating shots like "Bigmouth Strikes Again", "I Started Something I Couldn't Finish" and "What Difference Does It Make". All sung in a 30's crooner vocal style with a touch of feyness. My favorite song, "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" features Morrissey singing about how happy he would be to die with his lover in a bus accident. It's perverse, it's funny and sad...that's the charisma Morrissey has.

Their biggest hit, "How Soon Is Now" (with that classic guitar riff that goes "da na-na-na-na-na" followed by a "Whir-errrrr" over and over again) is an awesome song about sulking in loneliness. Feeling a little weary but still have a sense of humor about your situation? Then the Smiths are playing the soundtrack of your life.

No comments: