Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Number 61


"It was a Sunday, day like any other day, with a small town another day" went the song "Long Long Way From Home." At least, that's how I thought it went but I later found out I didn't understand the lyrics to this song that well at all. Pleasant memories of harmless rocking out come to mind when I think of Number 61...

Foreigner - Records (1982)

Records was the first of many greatest hits collections for the British / American group Foreigner. Led by guitarist / keyboardist Mick Jones and raspy voiced singer Lou Gramm, by 1982 Foreigner had racked up four platinum albums and a gaggle of hit singles thanks to their classic AOR sound. Thanks to melodic songwriting and a musical style that is best described as Bad Company with a progressive rock bent, Foreigner rivaled Journey in arena rock popularity and influence.

I first paid attention to Foreigner when my friend let me copy his tape in the mid-80's. At the time, the only Foreigner songs I knew were "Urgent", "Hot Blooded" and "Waiting For A Girl Like You." I liked those songs so it made sense to copy the tape. After playing the tape, I was sold on what would become one of my favorite bands during my teen years.

The big selling point for me was how damn catchy these songs were! "Feels Like The First Time" was a classic rock anthem with its swirling keyboards and near disco beat driven by a meaty guitar riff. As ridiculous as the song lyrics are (They are the 70's equilvalent to "Like A Virgin") the hammering guitars and screaming vocals make it irresistable. Another rocker, "Juke Box Hero" with its pulsing beat and insistent chorus ("He's a Juke Box Hero / Got Stars In His Eyes!!!") also hit home. The aforementioned "Urgent" was about as loose and funky as I could handle in the 80's (which isn't that funky) anchored by Gramm's tense vocal and a killer sax solo by Junior Walker.

The outstanding ballad "Waiting For A Girl Like You" mangaged to be mellow without being entirely wimpy allowing for the band to maintain some rock cred. Thomas Dolby (of "She Blinded Me With Science" fame) provided some gorgeous keyboard parts to this classic ballad. For better or worse, the success of this song led to more ballads causing Foreigner to lose much of its rocker image.

But my favorite song was the very un-pc "Dirty White Boy". For Foreigner to risk offending people was very uncharacteristic of them. I often found it interesting that when I (a rock loving Asian) would discuss this song with others rockers (often white) they would become very uncomfortable. They were never sure if I was pulling their leg or not. This song came from the Head Games album (1979) where Foreigner tried hard (a little too hard) to toughen up their image. "Boy" is a hard driving, bluesy rocker with whiplash slide guitarwork and a menacing vocal from Lou Gramm. The reasons I love this song is:

1. It's a killer riff and vocal, maybe the perfect Arena Rock song delivered with real gusto and...
2. It's really funny. I mean, they thought after two platinum albums of polished pop rock they thought they could turn around and call themselves "Dirty White Boys"? And is this meant to be a compliment? Does it really sound tough? Is it racial self hatred?
3. The title "Dirty White Boy" just makes me think of some guy who doesn't bathe standing with a shirt full of holes and ripped jeans. Is this supposed to be cool?
4. The lyrics are really awesome in that silly, overstated way...He's a dirty white boy because he's so dangerous that only girls with low self esteem dare love him ("You want me to be true to you/don't give a damn what I do to you") and he doesn't buy into money, man ("Don't drive no big black car/don't like no Hollywood movie star").
5. And that second verse. It's like the ultimate mantra. it reads:

"Ive been in trouble since I dont know when/Im in trouble now and I now somehow Ill find trouble again/Im a loner, but Im never alone/Every night I get one step closer to the danger zone"

Yeah! The danger zone is where I live baby!!! I'm at least as dangerous as Kenny Loggins. Fear my footloose, danger zone living ass. At least meet me half way.

6. My wife often made fun of me singing this song, so it now has an added bit of sentimentality.

The icing on the cake of Records is the live version of "Hot Blooded" at the end. A corker of a live shot of Foreigner, this song is famous for Gramm's stage patter. Mid-song, Gramm yells for the crowd to sing along because "we've got the amps, but you've got the numbers...the strength in numbers! So I just want to hear you say, Hot Blooded! Hot Blooded!." In high school, if you started saying this bit you could bet someone else would finish it for you.

Cheesy rock that's cool as hell, that was the magic of Foreigner. I saw Foreigner in concert in 1985 and was impressed with their tight playing and professionalism. I saw them again in 1999, but sadly Lou Gramm had suffered some medical problems and his voice was shot. Foreigner had more hits and fine CDs after 1982, but Records remains a no nonsense collection of the band's best rock moments. Rock On (inoffensively)!

No comments: