Saturday, May 12, 2007

Number 51


It's been kind of a dead week in the world of pop culture, so now seems like a good time to resume my favorite CD countdown. My 51st favorite CD is:

Bob Marley - Legend (1984)

I think it was Bono who said about Bob Marley, "Prophet. Soul rebel. Rastaman. Herbsman. Wildman. A natural, mystic man. Lady's man. Island man. Family man. Rita's man. Soccer man. Showman. Shaman. Human. Jamaican!" It was a great description of the man and says a lot about what he meant to people, but to be honest I just like his music. I've never been into reggae and my appreciation for it pretty much stops after Bob Marley and UB40. However, Bob Marley's music transcends the genre for me.

Legend culls what is recognized as Bob Marley's greatest hits onto one disc. Marley's music has a sense of hope that runs through it, even when he is singing about shooting sheriffs or deputies. To an outsider of the music, reggae often seems like one repetitive groove over and over (as most music you are not into sounds to a non listener) yet Legend has a variety of material. There are upbeat dance tunes such as the relentless "Exodus" or the song Eric Clapton made a #1 hit, "I Shot The Sheriff." His music could be seductive on slower numbers, like on "Stir It Up" or "Waiting In Vain." And in an unusual style for any lasting popular artist, Bob Marley could sound really happy as with "Three Little Birds" or "Satisfy My Soul". Usually happy songs are written off as being shallow and are often unappreciated yet Bob Marley's music is so infectious it doesn't matter.

There is definitely some rebel spirit to Bob Marley as his classic "Get Up Stand Up" demonstrates and he could translate his yearnings into spiritual quests as with "No Woman No Cry". But my favorite is the simple folk ballad "Redemption Song". It is an acoustic ballad that carries emotional power of a person quietly fighting for freedom with heavy resolve.

No comments: