Monday, December 04, 2006

March Of The Penguins


The other day I finally got around to seeing March Of The Penguins (2005), a documentary about the mating cycle of the Penguins in Antarctica. I had put off seeing it for a long time, mainly because I am not that into documentaries. I do find I watch them more often now, but that is compared to not watching them at all. At any rate, I saw it - the movie that made Penguins the new Dinosaurs (remember that Jurrasic Park fad?). For proof of this, just look at how Happy Feet (2006) is making a killing at the box office.

March Of The Penguins tells a revealing story of how Penguins walk 70 miles to a central mating ground where they procreate and then care for an egg until it hatches. They care for the young penguin for a while until it is time to leave the new breed to become their own pack. Along the way, Penguins have to defend the eggs / younglings (sorry, Star Wars terminology) against freezing cold weather (it's Antarctica-it's known to be a little cold) and dangerous predators (you'll never look at seals and ducks the same way again!). It's a moving story to say the least.

It is beautifully shot with great views of glaciers and some fantastic underwater photography. Some of the images are the type movies now use digital effects for (the Southern lights, the Penguins high speed swimming) which makes the documentary filming that much more impressive. Where the movie is most effective is in humanizing the penguins struggle, framing their behavior by describing the impulses to procreate, to care for each other, provide for the family and act out when unhappy. It also helps to use the voice of God, er, Morgan Freeman that is.

In fact, it is so effective it made me aware of my own life and how it is important to both enjoy life and make the most of the limited time we all have together. Or maybe I feel that way because I'm off work right now. It made me feel like my (much ridiculed) graduating high school quote from REO Speedwagon, "Live Every Moment and Love Every Day". Hmmm...I guess that does sound lame, but that's how I feel!

No comments: