Monday, December 04, 2006

Survivor Series and WWE


A week ago I ordered the Survivor Series pay per view of the WWE and found myself a little mixed about the event. I enjoyed watching it, but nothing about it really blew me away. I think this leads to the heart of the problem for WWE wrestling right now, it's all a bit "been there, done that". One of the things I felt was exciting about wrestling when I first started watching it was the unpredicatbility. Seeing outlandish characters do impossible things to each other and brag about it.

It's not that the WWE isn't trying, in fact they're trying really hard to push our buttons. Recent wrestiling gimmicks include a new team called Cryme Tyme who act like fun loving petty criminals beating up on a Michael Richards type racist ranting comedian. But their attempts are to fall back on what worked in the 80's and 90's. The gimmicks have gotten broader in a more 80's style, such as a rough Irishman complete with shalale and leprechan (O'Malley? I can't remember his name), a worm eating voodoo guy (Boogie Man) and a Marine (John Cena).
At the same time, they're recycling what's left of the 90's with a reunited Hardy Boyz (which is awesome cause they're great together) and a mini size version of DX (Triple HHH and Shawn Michaels).

These moves keep WWE in a holding pattern where it is still entertaining. But it does show what the problem is. Survivor Series was entertaining but nothing really memorable happened. What I'm waiting for is something new and exciting to take place. Hopefully, WWE will find it and exploit it to death. I can't wait!

1 comment:

ella m. said...

The Irish character's name is Finley :D He's actually a trainer for the newer wrestlers.