Monday, November 19, 2007

There and Back Again

Apparently photographed the one day a year it doesn't rain in Seattle.

I've just come back from a mini vacation going to Seatlle, Washington to see a relative's wedding. Other than the near constant rain, I thought Washington was a great place to be. The people were nice, the city was clean, there was a good mix of traditional and high tech stuff and the drivers followed actual traffic safety laws. The relatives we stayed with were excellent hosts. A huge contrast to the aggressive slash and burn approach to living that comes with the Bay Area. If I didn't feel like Noah with all the rain up there, it would probably be a nice place to live.

Well, it wouldn't be a Mr Mike entry without media to compare the trip to. So here it goes!

Family Guy - Wrong Sounding Muppets

I hate flying which reminded me of this joke from TV's Family Guy about taking chances.


South Park - Cartman "I did not have an anal probe!"
.
My cousin had a funny story involving this quote and a train. Plus, she does a great Cartman impersonation.
.
Rilo Kiley - "Breakin' Up"
The Fray - "How To Save A Life"

I watched Grey's Anatomy for the first time. The only patient they had died because the doctors were too busy worrying about who they would sleep with next or who were fighting over who had more alcoholic parents. Your HMO dollars at work people! Anyway, Rilo Kiley played in the background and The Fray are like the soundtrack band to this show.

Foo Fighters - "The Pretender"
Metallica - "Ain't My Bitch"

My IPOD got a good work out during this trip, I really liked waking up to the Foo Fighters. Both songs were motivational in dealing with some of the stresses of travel.

Buddhist Leader Guy (not sure of official title) - "Chanting"

The wedding ceremony was Buddhist and included some chanting. I've heard some chanting before and thought the guy was pretty good, the Simon Cowell in me was suitably impressed with his vocal tone. HUmmmm. HUmmmm.

Prince - "I Wanna Be Your Lover"

The music at the reception was fairly sedated, but towards the end after most of the guests had left this song played. It stood out after hours of hearing Adult Contemporary. Was somebody trying to say something?
.
University of Washington versus Cal - 37 to 23
.
Everyone had reason to celebrate after Washington upset Cal before the post reception party. It was great to see many relatives I hadn't talked to in years.
.
Depeche Mode - "Clean"
.
I often discuss media with my cousin and she brought up this song from the Violator album. I didn't remember it and so when I got home I played it off You Tube (I hate being stumped on music). She mentioned looking for a remixed version but I couldn't remember which one it was. Anyway, I found a cool stripped down version to put here. This one's for you Cousin!


Jackson 5 - "Never Can Say Goodbye"

The morning we left my Aunt, Uncle and Cousin brought out old home movies from the early 70's that included me falling off a chair, terrorizing my brother and doing my Michael Jackson dance in front of the record player. My Jackson 5 record stood out in the foreground, fittingly titled Never Can Say Goodbye.

Jimi Hendrix - "Angel"

This song played on the IPOD on the way home. Flying is very stressful and my wife was very supportive to me thorughout the flight, so of course I thought of her as this song played. Love you honey!

Lynyrd Skynyrd - "Coming Home"

There's probably irony in thinking about Skynyrd following a safe plane ride, but I thought of this song on the way home from the airport. Or maybe it's a residual aftereffect of wanting to yell "Freebird" at the wedding organist during the ceremony.

And that was the trip. My Aunt and Uncle were very nice to let us stay with them and we all had a great time. Dixie ate her bed while at the kennel. Do you love him, Honey?

2 comments:

Jeannie said...

I love you too.

I was only too glad to hold your hand and comfort you on the plane. Besides, you did it for me the rest of the trip. Aw, ain't love grand?

We should get Auntie Col to record herself saying, "Do you love him, honey?" That was so hilarious.

FYI- The "guy" is a minister. His title is Reverend. He rpcked! Oh, I mean he performed a very good service.

Jeannie said...

Sorry- "He rocked!" It's not like me to having a typing error. Darn it, Grandpa. Quit messing me up!