Sunday, November 18, 2007

When Genres Collide - Sugarland and Beyonce

About a year ago when I heard Beyonce's hit "Irreplaceable" I thought it was a pleasant, catchy tune that conveyed a strong sense of purpose and personality. I found the hook "To the left, to the left" sticking in my brain for weeks. It wasn't my favorite song and didn't look for it (didn't have to, it was always on somewhere) but I did like it.

Apparently, many other people liked it too including the Country band Sugarland who took to performing the song live at their shows. This has culminated in a suprising collaboration between Sugarland and Beyonce at the American Music Awards. The show looked really boring so it sucks I missed this, but I caught it on the web and all I can say is...Wow. It's not a perfect team up as some of Beyonce's soulful vocal runs roughshod over the bluegrass beat but it still kicks ass. A fun example of When Genres Collide!


1 comment:

Sean Langdon said...

for posting this! it was a great performance!