Saturday, August 29, 2009

A Song For You


While playing the Matthew Sweet / Susanna Hoffs album my wife heard one song she liked from it, "A Song For You". She asked me who did the song originally and I had no idea, so I looked on Wikipedia and it looked like it was Leon Russell. But when I played the clip on You Tube, it was a different song. The song that Sweet & Hoffs covered was by Gram Parsons, a 70's country rocker that I've heard of but never listened to outside of The Byrds.

In looking for the Parsons song I found I not only liked the Leon Russell song but already had a version of it on my Ray Charles Cd. So this song has been in heavy rotation on my IPOD lately. I also thought it would be fun to include the Carpenters and Donny Hathaway versions too. This makes "A Song For You" my KRQR double shot for tonight! (or quadruple shot, technically. Also technically only one of these is a rock song. Oh well...)




No comments: