Friday, July 20, 2007

Best Week Ever...or I love snarky trash!



While running through various channels on cable tv, there is no doubt that my favorite channels are VH1 and VH1 Classic. It's music television, it's made for old people and the non music programs are vicously sarcastic. When I was but a wee lad, I used to dream about a world where people cussed and were sarcastic all day and then played baseball the rest of the time. A time where my Fonzie look (torn blue jeans and a white T shirt) would be evercool 'cause I was Kid (clap your hands) Dy-No-Mite! Now, thirty years later, that world has arrived (the cussing and sarcasm, I'm not the Fonz). And the biggest sign of the Apocalypse? Best Week Ever.

Best Week Ever is a TV show where a group of comedians riff on the latest gossip and pop culture events. It's made for people with short atten...I like Best Week Ever. The show picks the best trashy moments of the Paris Hilton's, Lindsey Lohan's and Britney Spears of the world. It raises sarcasm to an art form as it is performed by skilled professionals who mercilously shred their targets. It has all the great jokes you wish you said about someone or something, if you happened to know someone else who cared.

As fulfilling as I find all the rampant sarcasm in the media, particularly the internet, I actually do miss a time where these traits weren't omnipresent. Smug, intellectual sarcasm seems to be drowning out any type of sincere communication. Like anything there needs to be a balance of pros and cons, yin & yang and blah blah blah so communication can be found in it's proper context. Or maybe I just don't like that these comedians are funnier than me. Damn you Chuck Nice! (I'm still laughing over his imitation of a baby coming out of Nicole Ritchie and saying "Lionel Ritchie is my granddad".)

I will always enjoy good harsh sarcasm about generalized topics or people I know of but don't really know. But at the same time I'm going to try to remember to Cherish the love. We should Cherish the love we have, for as long as we both shall live. Cherish the love. Cherish the love. Cherish the love. Kool and the rest of the Gang would have wanted it that way.

No comments: