Thursday, July 05, 2007

Independence Day and the Boss


The July 4th holiday just went by, a terrific holiday celebrating our Declaration of Independence from Britain. I originally thought I would celebrate by writing about freedom and the 4th of July in general, but after spending some time with my wife I found a better angle. So here it is.

Independence Day has special meaning for me because there were two Declarations of Independence for me. The most recent one happened on July 4th, 1999 when my wife and I moved out of my mother-in-laws trailer and into one of our own. I'm not complaining about my mother-in-law, it was very nice of her to put my wife and I up for a couple of years. It just felt great to have a place of our own. We no longer had to adjust our schedule to fit someone else's because we owned the trailer. We no longer had neighbors directly on our wall like when we lived in an apartment either (neighbors suck when they blast their music/tv and beat on each other 'til one of them cries).

As music is such a part of my life it's normal for me to equate a song to this. The song "Independence Day" by Bruce Springsteen is a pensive ballad about a person's rite of passage in moving out of the parents (in this case Father's) house. The song, about moving out of the house from your parent, is moving in it's wary caution and pride in leaving. It's on the Hungry Heart (1980) album and the Live 1975-1985 box set.
The second Independence Day (chronologically the first) actually happened on July 5th, when I asked the woman who would become my wife out on a date. We were watching fireworks while working at a major Northern California theme park when I asked her out. Then I had to dodge the Lead because she was on duty and I wasn't. July 5th is one of our anniversaries and we always think of that night when we watch fireworks (the first movie we saw together, Sleepless In Seattle, added to that a bit also). To paraphrase Green Acres, you are my wife-Bye Bye, single life!

Our song, Springsteen's epic "Thunderroad", is a poetic ballad about getting out of their town before family and economic opportunities force them to stay. "Thunder Road" is a great ballad with dark, urgent lyrics about taking one last shot at chasing your dreams. My wife and I used to sing this song together often (privately - no one else should have to endure my singing voice. Unless you're into pain!) while we were dating. The lyrics go:

The screen door slams, Mary's dress sways
Like a vision she dances across the porchAs the radio plays
Roy Orbison singing for the lonely
Hey that's me and I want you only
Don't turn me home again, I just can't face myself alone again
Don't run back inside, darling you know just what I'm here for
So you're scared and you're thinkingThat maybe we ain't that young anymore
Show a little faith, there's magic in the night
You ain't a beauty, but hey you're alright
Oh and that's alright with me
You can hide `neath your covers and study your pain
Make crosses from your lovers, throw roses in the rain
Waste your summer praying in vainFor a saviour to rise from these streets
Well now I'm no hero, that's understood
All the redemption I can offer, girl, is beneath this dirty hood
With a chance to make it good somehow
Hey what else can we do now?
Except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair
Well the night's busting openThese two lanes will take us anywhere
We got one last chance to make it real
To trade in these wings on some wheels
Climb in back - Heaven's waiting on down the tracks
Oh-oh come take my hand
Riding out tonight to case the promised land
Oh-oh Thunder Road, oh Thunder Road, oh Thunder Road,
Lying out there like a killer in the sun
Hey I know it's late we can make it if we run
Oh Thunder Road, sit tight take hold, Thunder Road
Well I got this guitar and I learned how to make it talk
And my car's out back if you're ready to take that long walk
From your front porch to my front seat
The door's open but the ride it ain't free
And I know you're lonely and there's words that I ain't spoken
But tonight we'll be free, all the promises'll be broken
There were ghosts in the eyes of all the boys you sent away
They haunt this dusty beach roadIn the skeleton frames of burned out Chevrolets
They scream your name at night in the street
Your graduation gown lies in rags at their feet
And in the lonely cool before dawn
You hear their engines roaring on
But when you get to the porch they're gone on the wind
So Mary climb in
It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win.

There are many versions of this song, our preference is the live version on Live 1975-1985 (1986). It has some nice piano and an intimate feel to it.

Before meeting my wife, July 4th was really just another holiday with hot dogs. Now it is a day I can celebrate my marriage and the freedom our great country gives us to spend it together. And the Boss is the soundtrack to the whole thing. My wife just walked into the room and "Born to Run" just popped up on the IPOD at random. Meant to be!

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

I love you.