Sunday, July 15, 2007

Giuffria - Call To The Heart

The latest entry in the Flashback section is this Journeyesque power ballad from 1985 called "Call To The Heart" by Giuffria. Giuffria is a mid-80's arena rock band that lasted all of two albums before firing people to become House of Lords. You say who? Exactly.

"Call To The Heart" had many of the qualities I looked for in a song that year. The sparkling, "heavenly" keyboards, soaring guitars, bracing melodic chorus and Steve Perry...or at least a guy who sounded like Perry. Many of the great cheeseball trappings of the decade are on display in this video: the spandex, the wall of hairspray on people's heads, tiger print muscle shirts. It's all here in all it's flashy 80's glory.

This is one of those records I would play relentlessly after coming home from school. I had the 45 for the single edit and later bought the full record bringing me the excellent "Lonely In Love" as well. Many of my high school friends thought it was a joke that I was a fan of this group. In retrospect, Giuffria was not a great band by any means but they did play a style of music that fit me perfectly. So here it is, "Call To The Heart", a top 20 single from 1985. I feel late for the school bus already.


1 comment:

Jeannie said...

Did you say 1985? Why, I hear this song so often, I thought it was just released. (^-^)

When I first heard this song oh so many years ago, I thought that it was Whitesnake.