Friday, October 12, 2007

KRQR Double Shot

The only radio station I ever gave a damn about...

In ye olde days of the Bay Area 97.3 FM wasn't the commercial alternative station Alice but instead was KRQR - The rocker. It was the hardest rocking station in the bay, not as intellectual as KFOG, not as old as KMEL (when it was the Camel, not the current hip hop station) and not as bankrupt as new wave station The Quake (a great station that ran out of money). KRQR was the Bay Area guide to classic AOR bands like Journey, Rush, 80's Eric Clapton and of course Led Zeppelin. At noon time they would have this program called the Hot Lunch (I think with Steven Seaweed) and would play two songs in a row from one artist, or what they called a "double shot". I always think of this term when something comes in twos, and with two posts in one night I have a blog posting double shot.

I was checking out some of the Donna's new music, I've had a soft spot for this band since seeing their video for "Take It Off" and heard their new single "Don't Wait Up For Me". "Wait" is a blatant rip from the Joan Jett classic "I Hate Myself For Loving You" but when it comes to the Donnas, I don't listen for originality I listen to hear a band truly commited to rocking out and rocking hard. They seem to be going thru an image change as well, ditching the slightly punky look for a Vixenish make over. Extra credit goes to the guitar player for finding a replica of Phil Collen's Pyromania era angular bodied guitar. And now...a double shot of Palo Alto's own-The Donnas!




The Donnas - "Don't Wait Up For Me"



The Donnas - "Skintight"

No comments: