Monday, October 22, 2007

Top 10 Favorite Bruce Springsteen lesser known songs

"There was a time when I had so many good songs they would literally fall out of my ass"-not an actual Springsteen quote.


This week I'll get to see Bruce Springsteen perform live with the E Street Band for the first time in 20 years. The only time I've seen The Boss play was at the Amnesty International concert in Oakland. That was 1988, in support of the Tunnel of Love album (which means it was a somewhat subdued show). It wasn't the transcendent experience all of the hype led me to believe, but the subtle power of "The River" still haunts me from that night. Choosing your favorite Springsteen songs is a tough thing to do because from 1975 to 1987 the guy simply could not write a bad song. So, eschewing his usual Greatest Hits here's a list of my favorite lesser known (but not unknown!) Springsteen songs.

Number 10 - Your Own Worst Enemy from Magic

An earlier post explained why I like this song, just goes to show the Boss can still write songs that are relevant and relatable.

Number 9 - Highway Patrolman from Nebraska

From my favorite Springsteen album Nebraska (1982), his music has been described as "cinematic" and that definitely fits this song. The story of a police officer reminiscing about the good times he had with his brother who he is in hot pursuit of is the stuff of movies. Thematically, it tackles the difference between personal values and public law and sides firmly with the personal.

Number 8 - Spare Parts from Tunnel of Love

In the late 80's broken families were big news and Springsteen illustrated the desperation of people whose lives are falling apart with this tune. The line about going out for some cigarettes and not coming back is classic.

Number 7 - My Beautiful Reward from Lucky Town

When Springsteen wrote this, he was mired in controversy for cheating on his first wife with the woman who would become his second wife. Much of his fan base lost faith in Springsteen at this point, he was no longer The Boss. Many of his songs at this point had a "may you reap what you sow" tone but this song said it the best. Love the imagery of being drunk on the floor searching for his Beautiful Reward.

Number 6 - Downbound Train from Born in the USA

Even as a teenager, the opening line had me hooked "I had a job / I had a girl / I had something mister in this world". Springsteen then unfolds the tale of a man who loses everything along with a dramatic midsection where the beat stops and the man dreams of rushing to his wife who is no longer there. I've never heard of him playing this live, but on album it's powerful.

Number 5 - Thundercrack from Tracks

A sort of cousin to his classic "Rosalita", the song is long with many different sections. The variety of grooves hit like an extended jam session going really well. A bar band classic that never was. I liked the slight bit of sleaziness in the song that seems to be about an exotic dancer. "Her brains they rattle / her bones they shake / Whoa she's an angel from the innerlake."

Number 4 - Out In The Street from The River

It's rare for Springsteen to write a feel good song so "Street" stands out as a party hearty classic. An upbeat, jaunty tune about getting off work and having a good time. The freedom to "walk the way I wanna walk" is a great feeling.

Number 3 - I'm On Fire from Born In The USA

This probably would not qualify as a "lesser known song" in most people's book because it was a Top 10 hit single. That's probably a good reason to not consider it but after the song became popular the lyrics and video caused the public to unfairly tag it as the ultimate anthem for stalkers. The fact that the song was about romantic obsession fell on deaf ears resulting in an unofficial ban on "I'm On Fire" that lasts to this day. I used to quote the song to my wife while we were dating so again, the relatability is definitely there.

Number 2 - Murder Incorporated from Greatest Hits

Although this was a single, I don't think anyone remembers this song. Written about the mob's influence on his beloved Jersey, I really just like the heavy groove and hearing Springsteen shout "Murder Incorporated!".

Number 1- Light of Day from Plugged

Springsteen originally gave this song to a movie soundtrack that became Light of Day starring Michael J Fox. Sung by Joan Jett, it was a minor hit in the mid 80's. When Springsteen formed his non E Street band in the early '90's, he revived this song as a showcase for the new band's talents. As a result, "Light of Day" became a sprawling piece of gospel fired rock with squalling twin guitars, rapid fire drumwork and skidding keyboard runs. My second favorite Springsteen song and performance, when he stopped to look into the camera to ask "Is anyone alive out there?" you'd swear he was in your living room.

4 comments:

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

The River is my all time favorite album from Springsteen. After Born in the USA I got kind of turned off of him. I still like his really early stuff, tho. My all time favorite Springsteen songs are: Rosalita (Come Out Tonight), Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out, and of course, The River.

Mr. Mike said...

It's funny you mentioned The River because that's the CD I'm playing in my car right now. Great choice for a favorite album, it has every type of song he does well when he was at his peak. Independence Day came close to making my list. I also like your favorite songs, too. On the new CD he sort of remade Tenth Avenue Freeze Out with a song called Living In The Future. Thanks for reading!

Anonymous said...

Stolen Car (Tracks version)

How come nobody ever caught on to this gem? Far superior to the version on The River. Rips your heart out...

jts

Mr. Mike said...

Hi jts! Great tip, it's funny because I always wondered what the difference was between the two versions and never bothered to listen back to back. After your post, I decided to do that and you're right, the Tracks version has more piano, better arrangement and a stronger vocal. The River version is more detached like he's dead inside, so its really cool how two versions of the same song cause two different responses. It's a great song!