Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Results Are In! The Journey continues...

After months of preparation and speculation, Journey has emerged with new lead singer Arnel Pineda. They've been performing in South America and were "Captured" on television in Chile. I had some concerns that Pineda would turn out to be more of a talented mimic than rather than have his own style and in some ways he is. But those ways turn out to be the best ways, he seems genuinely excited to perform, ad-libs during instrumental breaks, engages the audience, sings with his eyes closed half the time and runs all over the stage. Best of all, Pineda has the sense of sincerity in his voice that Perry had which goes along way towards selling the songs. Despite all of these similarities, Pineda does come across as his own person and not just a copy cat performer. He changes up some of the vocals with a raspier edge and bounds around the stage with enthusiasm. So I'll have to eat my words and say Arnel Pineda is the real deal. And this gives Journey the potential to be in their best shape since 1983.

Journey - "Open Arms"



Journey - "Any Way You Want It"

3 comments:

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Wow! That was way cool! Anyway You Want It has always been one of my favorite Journey songs. He did a marvelous job on that one. I have to confess that I didn't watch very much of the Open Arms video. Love songs make me angry, so I try to avoid them when possible. I like the guy tho. Are they going to be putting out any new material, do you know?

Mr. Mike said...

I believe they will be putting out new material eventually, when Pineda first joined the band they said they were inspired to write more and had recent producer Kevin Shirley listen to some of the songs. Looking forward to some new music!

filipbong said...

Bon apetit!

Go Journey and AP!