Friday, September 04, 2009

Buzz Clips

Mastodon...you like...yes?

Like MTV of old, I'm going to feature some Buzz Clips. These are bands that are new to me that I'm checking into based on the media buzz around them. I read about these groups online, in magazines and what not which leads me to wonder "What's the big deal?" so I play a song and give them a chance. Because as much as I love my old favorites, I'll never hear anything new by just playing the classics.

Fleet Foxes "White Winter Hymnal"

This band has had a buzz for months now, an interesting return of 60's style chamber pop. Strangely hypnotic, I like it.

Silversun Pickups "Panic Switch"

Often compared to one of my favorite bands The Smashing Pumpkins, the SSP come across like a modern update to that classic band. Good stuff.

Kings Of Leon "Use Somebody"

This band hasn't had a buzz for months, it's had it for years. I've given then a chance before with their loose limbed Southern rock and while I thought they were OK I didn't really dig them. They're having a lot of commercial success now and I can see why: they changed their sound to a tighter, more accessible approach. And yet I still can't get into them.

Mastodon "Oblivion"

21st Century hard rock doesn't appeal to me yet this band does. They rock hard but get almost prog metal in parts plus they look like regular rock dudes instead of posers. This is the second song I've heard from them, I've been impressed both times. And this video reminds me a bit of that movie Sunshine.

Iron & Wine "Flightless Bird, American Mouth"

I mentioned strangely hypnotic before, ditto this guy who goes by the name Iron & Wine. I can't even figure out what this song is about exactly, I just like the sensitive mewing and lilting melody. This song I think is from 2007 but appears to have renewed exposure through the Twilight movie. Haven't seen Twilight, but now before playing this song in concert he can say "Hey, suck on this!" Heh heh...vampires.
.
Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillat "Lucky"

My mother in law recommended this song to us because it reminded her of me and my wife. It's a pleasant song. A love song that has enough of a beat to avoid being cloying. Plus, it comes in espanol (different girl singer included)! And I think it's very nice that the song reminded my mother in law of us :)

Hey, I did it! I found some new bands to write about. Will any of them stick with me? Only time will tell...

No comments: