Monday, July 12, 2010

No Life 'Til Leather


I was a late bloomer when it comes to interest in the music of Judas Priest. In their hey day, my knowledge of them began and ended with "You've Got Another Thing Comin". Wait, the other thing I knew was that the album Turbo had synth bass which critics slammed but I had one friend who got into Priest just for that record. Felt bad for them when they were unfairly tried in court for the suicide of two kids in the late 80s and was as surprised as anyone else when lead singer Rob Halford came out of the closet.

I didn't dislike Judas Priest, I just didn't care. A few years back that began to change, my wife had some Priest Cds and they sounded good to me. A song here or there would catch my ear. Then VH1 made them the Rock Honors or something and featured their music for an hour or two. Godsmack was one of the bands playing tribute to Priest and they came storming out with-

Hell Bent For Leather from the album Hell Bent For Leather (1978)

Godsmack's performance sold me on this song, the pithy verse delivery that led to the near operatic chorus killed.




Eventually I got The Essential Judas Priest which included this track, giving me free reign to play that bad boy to death :)



The song is also noted for being Rob Halford's entrance song where he rides his motorcycle onto the stage.


The song has been covered by other bands as well, including Annihilator and Warrant.

Such an awesome song, that's why it makes my favorite tune list of all time!

No comments: