Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Roger Wilco

I've been playing the last Wilco album The Whole Love lately. Wilco albums are always a tough listen for me at first, it takes time for me to "get it". Once I do get it though, I really like what I hear. It's unusual for a Wilco song to bowl me over on first pass, yet I really liked the final song "One Sunday Morning (For Jane Smiley's Boyfriend)". I don't know what the song is about, just like the easygoing 70s acoustic ramble it is. Even at 12 minutes long, makes me feel all peaceful like.

I've read the lyrics just now, very interesting. Looks like it tells the story of an athiestic man who did not get along with a religious father. The father dies and the man feels a mix of sadness and relief at the same time. Pretty deep and poignant song, the music is so pleasant I did not pick up on the story in it at all. Now that I know the themes of the song the muted tones and 70s style folkiness are that much more impressive.

No comments: