Friday, August 31, 2007

More Rilo Kiley - Silver Lining

I debated with myself for a while on what my new Song of the Moment would be. Could it be the whistle happy "Young Folks" by Peter Bjorn and John? The Zepped out White Stripes rip "Icky Thump" (which I like a little better than their Bad Companyish current single, "You Don't Know What Love Is"). So close, but I'm going to give the nod to Rilo Kiley. Again.

I guess I have to admit to really liking this band without really realizing it. I got into them through a Paste magazine sampler that had "It's A Hit". I thought the song was groovy in a 70's soft rock kinda way. Even the vague anti-war message was 70's to me. I bought their 2004 disc More Adventurous and was treated to cute, tasteful country inflected pop rock. I liked it but wouldn't say I was amazed by them.

So I've been a little surprised that I seem to like them a lot. Before the new disc dropped, I started listening to Adventurous again plus a live bootleg of one of their shows. I enjoyed "The Moneymaker" enough to make it a Song of the Moment. It's unintentionally silly with it's stiff funk and phone sex operator vocals but it really stuck in my head.

There's no doubt Rilo Kiley sold out and have become a little blander, but I still can't get enough. I guess it's all those Fleetwood Mac comparisons floating around. At any rate, "Silver Lining" has replaced "The Moneymaker" in my head thanks to a handclap beat, George Harrison guitar lick and plaintive vocal reminiscent of their earlier work. Like "Moneymaker" it's overproduced and beat happy but I still like it. The gospel backing vocals help a bit to, reminds me of a Disney movie soundtrack.




Rilo Kiley - "Silver Lining"

No comments: