Thursday, August 09, 2007

Number 48


Boom Boom Clap! Boom Boom Clap! There goes one of the most recognizable beats in history (when it's heard, not written) known as "We Will Rock You." The band that delivered this timeless sports anthem? They're at Number 48:

Queen - Greatest Hits Vol 1 & 2 (1992)

Queen is a rare band that has existed in constant contradiction with themselves. They're rock stars that have all graduated college. They're mostly gay but have their songs chanted by people who are probably homophobic in sports arenas. In America, they were ignored in the 80's and then made a comeback just in time for the singer to die. They outperformed every band in the world at Live Aid on a day no one expected anything special from them. After being slagged by rock critics and tastemakers throughout their active career, they are now revered as a legendary band. They are Queen!

Most of my affinity for Queen comes from their Operatic bombastic approach to the already oversized Arena Rock sound. Growing up, I was hooked on the sports anthems "We Will Rock You / We Are The Champions" and the disco hook of the bass line to "Another One Bites The Dust." Then, in 1980 they made the soundtrack to Flash Gordon that went "Flash! Aaahhh...King of the impossible!!!". The movie blew but that song is still stuck in my head.

I did lose interest following the insufferable "Radio Ga Ga" and like many others I found the video for "I Want To Break Free" hard to take (didn't help drummer Roger Taylor actually looked like a girl when in drag). But I regained interest following the Highlander movie (1986) which included the phenomenal "Princes of the Universe" which is not included in Greatest Hits. But it does include the equally great ballad "Who Wants To Live Forever". "One Vision" from the Iron Eagle soundtrack (1985) was also great except for the over the top ending where they shout "Fried Chicken!"

"I Want It All" and "Breakthru" were the last Queen singles to really grab me and I will always associate these songs with one of my last visits to my Grandmother's place in Seattle. After that, Waynes World (1991) made Queen popular again and brought me full circle to a song I loved after a high school friend told me about the sound panning in the vocals which made me check it out.

Queen, the ultimate Arena Rock band. For better or worse, they have continued with smoky voiced Paul Rodgers in the vocal chair. At least Brian May's ringing, stately guitar playing is still intact. The Queen is dead! Long live the Queen!

No comments: