Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Countdown encounters some Bad Company

Do the Math...10 from 6 equals Bad Company Rocks!


Number 39 on my all time favorite CD list is a greatest hits set by what may be the definitive Hard Rock band...

Bad Company - 10 From 6 (1987)

When it comes to Hard Rock, less is more and Bad Company embodied that ethos better than just about any other band (except maybe AC/DC). The British rockers made their name on muscular, blunt riffs and Paul Rodgers smoky vocals. Like all things Bad Co, even the title is what it says: their 10 best songs from the first 6 albums. In some ways, they were the opposite of labelmates Led Zeppelin in that they completely lacked any sense of mystique.

The original Bad Company blasted thru songs like a jackhammer, such as on their signature song "Feel Like Makin' Love". They would set up the listener with soft, acoustic verses before bringing out the slashing guitars and howling vocals in the chorus. It's a formula that worked wonders on songs like "Shooting Star", "Ready For Love" and "Live For The Music". When they broke from formula, Bad Company could still come up with winners like the stomping "Movin' On" and their self titled ballad, "Bad Company".

It's tempting to pick the two disc Anthology because other classic cuts like "Good Lovin Gone Bad" and "Burnin' Sky" aren't here but again with Bad Company less is more. Their formula lived on long after Bad Co ended as bands like Foreigner and Wolfmother carried on the soft / loud dynamic. To sum it all up, like 10 punches to the face Bad Company delivers their message with brute force.

5 comments:

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

OMG! OMG! OMG! I love Bad Company! Is there a guy out there with a better "rock n roll" voice than Paul Rodgers? I think I must know every single one of their songs word for word.

Jeannie said...

How wonderful that my friend loves Bad Company as much as I do!

Burnin' Sky should have really been on this album. Aw well, thank goodness for iPods.

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

My first Bad Company album was their 1976 "Run With the Pack". There isn't a bad song on it. My sisters and I wore the grooves off the thing!

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

I have to say, tho, that I respectfully disagree with Mr. Mike. I could not liken Bad Company to a punch in the face. Their music is much sexier than that. Well, I'll stop right there, but you know what I mean, Jeannie.

Mr. Mike said...

I agree, there really isn't a better rock and roll voice than Paul Rodgers. They came up with really great songs, even when they did a reunion they cut a new song called "Hey Hey" that was just as good as their classic stuff.