Saturday, January 26, 2008

Damn Right I've Got The Blues

Halfway into this weekend, it became inevitable that I would post about the last 24 hours. It rained heavily yesterday, to the point that my wife and I refer to our driveway as "The Lake" and our bedroom window started leaking. I was away from home at the time the window was leaking, so my wife had to put up a ladder and tarp over the window in the rain to stop the leak. She's also recovering from being sick while doing this!

After a nice dinner at a local Mexican restaurant, we returned home last night to discover our dog had puked and decided the best way to clean up was to eat it back up and then sit her butt in the remains. Nnaaasstttyyyy....It took two baths, one last night and one this morning, to get the stink off her. All of her blankets and seating areas had to be washed multiple times. And the rancid smell of dog vomit has persisted in the house to this moment, though it is finally starting to dissipate.

Shortly after going to sleep, my wife heard a loud squealing noise that turned out to be our heater. We had to shut down the heater and wait until morning to call for a repairman. Did I mention it's been cold? It costs thousands of dollars to replace a heater! Following hours of lost sleep, we got a repairman over who said it was the fan which means it could be fixed instead of replaced. At least one thing went our way.

The song I thought best fit how I feel is Eric Clapton's "Broken Down" from the Reptile album (2001). But because that song wasn't a hit it's not online anywhere, so I needed to find a new song to fit this.

To my surprise, I ended up digging up a Buddy Guy cut called "Damn Right I've Got The Blues". I've never been a big fan of Guy, I had a friend who lent me a couple of Buddy Guy CDs but I just couldn't get into it. Today, this song pretty much nailed how I felt and the guitarwork is fantastic. Damn Right I've Got The Blues.


Buddy Guy - "Damn Right I've Got The Blues"

3 comments:

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Sounds like you and Bunny had a miserable few days. Glad the furnace can be fixed instead of needing to be replaced. Now you can get the lovely lady a great Valentine's Day present with all that money you saved.
I know the reason behind it sucks but you picked a great song. I saw Buddy Guy with Santana in Dallas, TX in... let me think... 1996 or 97. That was such a fantastic show.

Mr. Mike said...

It was a miserable day, I could not believe so much crap could happen in one day.

The Santana / Buddy Guy sounds like a really great show and that video got me a little interested in Mr. Guy. I've never seen Santana, but I have seen Abraxas which is the original lineup of Santana without, well, Carlos Santana. At the end of the Abraxas show, Bunny walked up to Neal Schon and shook his hand while wearing my old Journey T-Shirt from high school. Dream come true there!

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

My favorite memory of Neal Schon was seeing Journey in Memphis, TN when I was a seniou in high school. I think it was either late 83 or early 84. The stage had a nice little ramp all the way around so the people who bought the cheap seats in back of the stage could get a look at the guys, too. Schon was running back and forth on it, doing his thing and really being cool and when he came down off it on the right side, he slipped and busted his a$$. All the rest of the band where laughing their butts off and he looked so funny sitting there. Steve Perry almost couldn't finish the song he was laughing so hard.