Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Lewd and Crue 'd

I was going to say Saints & Sinners but I think that's a Whitesnake album title.

Before I weigh in on Motley Crue's new CD, I should probably say what I think of the band in general. I like Motley Crue but consider myself a fair weather fan. When it comes to one of the best hair bands of the 80's I mainly like the hits. There are people who grew up on the Crue and see them as their band, the music they had the time of their life to and represented the ultimate in 80's teen rebellion. I'm not one of those people, no logical reason for it, for some reason I prefer many hair bands I consider less talented on an objective level (like Ratt or Whitesnake). Maybe it was the sleaze factor or the hypocracy of seeing Vince Neil do R.A.D. commercials while higher than a kite. Either way, I've been listening to the new disc streaming online and do like them so here it goes!

The new disc is Saints of Los Angeles and is the first concept album I can recall in their career. It traces their story as a band based on their best selling biography The Dirt. As far as big money reunion cash in's go, Saints is pretty good. Motley Crue try hard to reconnect on a musical level with each other as their performance avoids coming across stiff or wooden (sometimes these type of reunions sound like a bunch of people e-mailing their recorded parts to each other from separate locations) and show they still have some chemistry together. Having a concept allows them to write with a newfound perspective on their favorite topics (which is their debauched lifestyle and girls, girls, girls).

Highlights include the "Shout At The Devil"ish title cut and the modern rock style ballad "The Animal In Me". And when it comes to Motley Crue, it's hard not to appreciate a song called "Chicks = Trouble" because it has them written all over it. It seems wrong to hear a Motley Crue album without a song title like that one. The burnt out fast beat of "Welcome To The Machine" makes an impression as well. Thankfully, the Crue don't overdo their attempt for a modern edge this time around (unlike Generation Swine) leaving it at roughed up guitar sounds and no synthesizers to make them current.

There are some drawbacks, mostly stemming from the concept of the album. The first five songs are really descriptive and place you in the middle of their hunger for success and dirt poor existence with the rampaging "Face Down In The Dirt" or the swanky "What's It Gonna Take". But when the band hits the big time, the story gets lost. Parts of the bands hey day get addressed (girls, career burn out) but some parts are missing (enjoying success, explicit drug addiction) and lacks a song to tie everything together for this part of the story. It ends well with "White Trash Circus" and "Goin' Out Swingin" to bring you to the present. Sequencing also becomes a problem because while the individual tracks are strong they don't flow together well musically. The transitioning from the beat of one song to the next is awkward and doesn't let the album gel as a whole.

Saints of Los Angeles isn't quite the triumphant return most would like to see from this group, but it does put their best foot forward and comes across as an earnest effort to rawk. All of the members contribute and seem dedicated to putting on a good show. There is some creative growth in the songwriting and anything that gets vastly underrated guitarist Mick Mars out of the house is a good thing. Saints lacks a killer cut to seal the deal, but has other strengths to make it worthwhile.

17 comments:

Arsenette said...

Interesting that you would review the Crüe just as I finished listening to Dr. Feelgood.. Count me as a fairweather friend as well. I like some songs.. (wish I could get them in instrumental because I really don't like Vince's voice...) I never really followed them but when a song hit the radio I would instantly start dancing to it.

Jeb said...

I have a review on this album too! I completely agree on you review, and have been a Motley fan my entire life! Has some great tracks! Nice review Mike!

Mr. Mike said...

Hi Arsenette! Dr. Feelgood is a great album with a lot of great memories to it. Good pick!

Hi Jeb! I found your review, great stuff!

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Great post, as usual, Mr. Mike. I think Dr. Feelgood was just about the only Crue song I really liked. And that was for the drums in it. I never could stand Vince's voice. It's so screechy and girlie. Like listening to my fingernails dragging down a chalkboard. Ewwww.... besides, they were pretty skanky. I have always pretty much preferred men who take showers. Daily. Even "all grown up" these guys don't look like they do.

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

And I just have one more little thing to say about Motley Crue: Poison!

Mr. Mike said...

Hi Some Kinda Wonderful! Sounds like the old Motley Crue vs Poison rivalry! Poison has some good songs, but my biggest entertainment from them have been watching those Rock of Love shows. Bret Michaels is a genius, he's managed to get VH1 to do what he used to pay roadies for-get a bunch of women together for him to par-tay with! With Motley Crue, their reality shows are usually face lifts or going to college-so score one for Poison.

Unknown said...

You can call me a fairweather fan as well. Ever since their official reunion a couple years ago and the release of new material like "If I Die Tomorrow", I was curious if they would ever get back in the studio.

I haven't heard the album yet, but the title track was fun to play in Rock Band. I've heard mixed reviews on this, but it sounds like the whole isn't necessarily better than the sum of its parts.

bmh67wa said...

Not a bad return for the Motley ones. Their sound is very much the same thankfully. Pretty much just like I remembered them! Unfortunately, the radio stations here wore out Saints awhile ago.

Mr. Mike said...

Hi Redskyy and bmh67wa! Sounds like you've both heard the title song and I imagine it would be a fun song to play in a video game. That's great because normally new music from older bands don't seem to get play anywhere, at least in the area I live in. I was surprised that Tommy Lee and Vince Neil got along enough to record this disc, they've been known to not like each other in the past. If anyone wants to hear the album, it's still streaming at :

http://www.iheartmusic.com/cc-common/news/sections/special/cruefest.html?_show

And click on the picture of Motley Crue to launch the player.

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

I confess that I did enjoy that Tommy Lee goes to college thing. It had some really funny moments. And I do think that on occasion he really did try hard. I have not watched an entire episode of the Rock of Love show. I never did like Brett, that pursed lip look just makes me laugh. I know he thinks it's sexy but it's just plain goofy to me. What I loved about Poison was the guitarist. What was his name? He was in one of those other VH1 "reality" shows not so long ago. I actually watched some of that. Besides, Poison's music is just way more fun.

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

It just came to me: CC DeVille, that was the guitarists name. Okay, I feel better now. Bye-bye.

Arsenette said...

C.C. Deville.. omg.. The fact that anyone uttered the "P" word.. Hubby thinks the "P" word stands for Poser.. he HATES Poison and thinks C.C. is a ridiculous hack.. LOL I find it funny when they do those Behind the music.. or E! Hollywood story on Poison they had him do an interview where he said "you know.. I went to the best music schools.. had the best teachers.. but I still suck!" .. My husband agrees LOL.

Arsenette said...

P.S. I was a Bon Jovi fan :p

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Oh No!!! Not Bon Jovi??? Talk about Posers. Bletch. They were always so over-slick, over-produced, over-blown. Saw them in concert once at Disney World. The show wasn't that great. Of course that could have just been all the little Madonna Wannabes screaming in their high-pitched, girlish voices throughout the whole thing. Most annoying.

Arsenette said...

LOL I didn't say Hubby like Bon Jovi (I am a product of the 1980's pop culture .. unbashed :) ). Prefer Jon's voice over Vince's any day of the week :) Hubby has better refined music tastes.. and he doesn't think the hair bands were heavy metal anyway :p

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Were you a Madonna Wannabe, Elsie?

Hair bands weren't heavy metal. Then again, neither were Queensryche or Yngwie Malmsteen but that's the genre they got tossed into for lack of one of their own. I mean, you can't really compare Queensryche to Ozzy Osborne in his heyday, can you?

Arsenette said...

Never did the fashion thing.. yes I know.. but I did like early Madonna before she went overtly sexual. True Blue was my last album I owned by her.

And er.. no can't compare the two :) Hey I liked the hair band days.. but I can't forgive anyone liking Cinderella..