Monday, September 03, 2007

Mr. Mike's highschool record collection - Eric Martin Band

Eric Martin wonders watcha gonna do with all that junk, all that junk inside your trunk?

A new feature I'm trying out is taking a look back at old records I used to have in High School. These records are usually not the most commercially successful ones and are either out of print or only available as imports. Such is the uncoolness of my musical taste! I thought I'd lead off with an oldie but a goodie (but then they all are)...Eric Martin Band - Sucker For A Pretty Face (1983)

EMB morphed from a local bay area band called 415 (a local phone area code) that was managed by Herbie Herbert (Journey). They became Eric Martin Band after signing to make their only record, Sucker For A Pretty Face, a common move when record execs think the audience needs the singer to be the focal point. EMB was a tight, strong band that played commercial AOR led by Eric Martin's raspy vocals.

I got into the band because of the video to the title track. It was a great video that intercut little vignettes of actors playing Eric Martin getting screwed over by cute girls over the course of his life. The video then goes on to show his girlfriend in the present day spending time with each of the band members all over San Francisco. I liked the use of San Fran visually (because it felt so local!) and thought the song was a great hooky rock track.

I bought the record at Rainbow Records (try finding one of those now) where the cashier gave me a hard time about the woman's figure in silhouette on the cover. I was too shy to say it then, but lady I'm buying the record and not your opinion! I took the record home and track by track, here's what I found:


1. Sucker For A Pretty Face - The hit, the song with the muscular beat, swirling synths and Eric Martin out rasping Rod Stewart. An AOR classic.

2. Don't Stop - The second single, a hard pumping ode to sex. The racy video was not seen much, probably because a lot of it took place in a stripper booth with Martin singing through the red phone to the dancing girl behind the glass. Looked like Bay Area sites were used again, it looked like the Tenderloin.

3. Private Life- Sadly, I don't remember this song.

4. Ten Feet Tall - This one I do remember, well the chorus hook anyway. It wasn't bad, but not memorable past that point other than as an 80's style motivational song. Everyone had to have the Eye of the Tiger at this point.

5. Letting It Out-There used to be this video show in the Bay Area that would specialize in local bands. EMB, Night Ranger and Journey would get a lot of play on this program. Anyway, I first heard this song from a live version taped in Hawaii while they opened for Journey from that program. It's a great ballad that uses Martin's cracking rasp for great dramatic effect. I couldn't find "Sucker" online anymore, so I'm putting up this video I found for this song instead.

6. Young at Heart - The chugging rocker that opened side 2 of the record! Good timey rock and roll about being considered too old for the girl you're dating.

7. Just Another Pretty Boy- I liked this song because it was the same guy who wrote 38 Special's "Back Where You Belong" which I loved. Not being the most handsome kid growing up, it was great to hear a dismissive song about "pretty boys". You want me, girls! The ugly kid!

8. One More Time - One of my favorite tracks on the record, Eric Martin had said this was one of the more R&B flavored songs in their repertoire. It had a big beat and some great piano playing.

9. Catch Me If You Can-We're getting near the end of the album, things got a little generic with this one. Solid but unspectacular pop rock.

10. Love Me - If I remember right, this was another ballad but less effective.

The record was produced by Rodney Mills (38 Special) and Kevin Elson (Journey) and their touch is definitely felt here. The playing is tight and smooth with whomping drums and well structured songs. I just found out the other night this record went Gold, a total surprise considering how it seemed like they were ignored at the time. Drummer Troy Lucketta was the only band member other than Eric Martin to have commercial success, he was the drummer for Tesla.

Eric Martin pursued a solo career that led to rumors of him nearly joining Toto and Journey, respectively. He eventually formed Mr. Big and finally broke through with a major hit song, "To Be With You". Martin still plays and records, he even has a blog at http://ericmartinband.blogspot.com/ . I still like EMB though I don't have the record anymore, it's a good 80's rock disc with the strong feeling of a local band making good.




Eric Martin Band - "Letting It Out"

No comments: