Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Time To Play the Game


Recent news in the world of Wrestling have all been of the negative type: Steroids, murder, falling attendance and tv ratings...the list goes on. Earlier this year, one of their best wrestlers Triple HHH was said to be retiring. To a fan that came in during the "Attitude" era, the loss of Triple HHH came as shocking news. Shortly after Wrestlemania, I stopped watching wrestling more out of boredom than anything else. Which is why what I saw last night on Raw was a surprise.

I tuned in to see Triple HHH in a handicap match against Umaga and Carlito. I could not believe what I was seeing: Triple HHH was supposed to be retired, his legs were shot and his child was recently born. His wife is Stephanie McMahon, the daughter of WWE owner Vince McMahon. But the HHH I saw wasn't ready to be put out to pasture, he performed with the same ability and intensity that he has for the past 10+ years.

Triple HHH isn't my favorite wrestler, that would be Stone Cold Steve Austin (the wrestler, not the person who is the wrestler) but Triple HHH was the one I always had the most respect for. He earned the nickname "The Game" by continuously striving to be the best. He learned so much about wrestling that people said he simply was the Game. He could be the good guy, the bad guy, the joker and anything else he needed to be. And whenever it came time to prove his commitment, such as when he blew his leg out in the middle of a match but finished it without missing any of his spots, he proved it.

Triple HHH is someone I find to be an inspiration, someone who gives 100% at all times no matter what the cost. By stepping out of retirement when the business needs him once again proves he is THAT DAMN GOOD!

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

Yes, he is that damn good, and I'm very happy to see him back as well.

After the fans stop being insanely happy, I hope that HHH plays the heel for a while. That's when I like him the best.