Sunday, April 20, 2008

Midnight Madness 4/20/08

I don't know how good the movie is, but the movie poster kicks ass.


A crazy week has gone by with both my wife and I having some health issues, time for some midnight madness-

Cherry Cherry - My wife and I went to San Francisco's Cherry Blossom Festival and had a great time. We saw, dancers, heard music and ate at Benihana. It was nice to have my wife translate for me the language and traditions of the Japanese people. Did I mention I'm Japanese-American and my wife isn't? Just goes to show how smart my wife is as the only Japanese I know from my upbringing is sushi, sayonara and bocha. Love ya honey!

Screamin' Mimi's - This week's American Idol was coached by Mariah Carey. David Cook delivered another alt rock ballad but scores points for managing to do it with "Always Be My Baby". Jason Castro had a pleasant Latin flair for "I Don't Wanna Cry" while Syesha Mercado did another is-it-live-or-is-it-Memorex approach to "Vanishing". Archuleta did well enough as Brooke White rushed through her piano based take on "Hero". Carly Smithson did pretty good with Badfinger/Nilsson/Carey's "Without You". But it was Kristi Lee Cook who found her Tammy Wynettish version of "Forever" wasn't, just when it seemed like she could win the whole deal by making one bottom three appearance after another.

Should we visit the Forbidden Kingdom? - The first ever Jet Li / Jackie Chan movie has been released, Forbidden Kingdom. The movie seemed like a real exciting prospect until I found out neither one of them is the star of the film. Reviews so far say the fight sequences are great, so now I'm stuck. Do I want to see a movie where they're supposed to be great but the star is someone else? Or should I wait for the DVD where I can skip to the action scenes? Hmm..., have to think about that one.


Trippin' On A Hole In A Paper Head-Scott Weiland has found the importance to continuing his career involves rotating the people who put up with his drug addicted crap. He quit Velvet Revolver (a band I gave up on following their Van Halen tribute, if you can call it that) to rejoin Stone Temple Pilots whose other members are probably just now running out of grunge money from the mid-90's. They're embarking on a recovery, um, reunion tour undoubtedly scheduled around court dates and future arrests of Mr. Weiland. Too bad, when Weiland is clean long enough to record a CD he's pretty good.


Danny Federici passes away - The longtime keyboardist for Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band passed away this week. It's sad to see this talented performer go, I had just seen him perform in October of last year. He had a terrific solo on "Livin' In The Future" but I couldn't find any footage of him playing the solo so instead I've included a song that came at the end of Springsteen's Magic cd that was originally dedicated to someone else but fits for Federici as well. Always sad to see someone pass who I didn't know personally but brought some happiness to my life through their talent.


Bruce Springsteen "Untitled"

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

"...the only Japanese I know from my upbringing is sushi, sayonara and bocha."

Aw, you knew more than that. You knew "baka", "hashi", "shoyu", ummm...maybe that was it. Oh, "Doumo arigatou", but that was because of Styx. You know a lot more now though. I'm proud of you!

"David Cook delivered another alt rock ballad but scores points for managing to do it with 'Always Be My Baby'."

I thought it was just ok until he rocked it out. Then I was like, "Yeah, go man go!"

"Forbidden Kingdom...Hmm..., have to think about that one."
Oh, I thought we were going. This is news to me. Ok, we can wait for a while.

"Too bad, when Weiland is clean long enough to record a CD he's pretty good."
I agree.

"It's sad to see this talented performer go..."
I was sad also to hear that Danny Federici passed away. :(