Thursday, April 17, 2008

Return To The Countdown

Breaking the girl: Kate Moss cuts a big one for the Countdown

It's been a rocky week with both me and my wife's health so I've been away for a little bit. My wife made a wonderful dinner for me today with home made sushi and pictures of some great business signs (Cutting Gas!). I thought I'd restart with a quick post to continue my favorite CD countdown:

Number 35: The Black Crowes - Shake Your Money Maker (1990)

I covered this album in a Black Crowes post a few months ago so I won't repeat much of it. Money Maker is a big blast of classic rock fire and southern rock attitude. A heavy debt to the Stones and Rod Stewart is paid but the band rises above its influences to create an explosion of bare knuckled blues rock.

Number 36: Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik (1991)
1991 was a big year for the Countdown as both The Black Crowes and RHCP were on the charts with the two albums listed here. Blood Sugar Sex Magik was the breakout album for the Chili Peppers, the album that took them from funk punk novelties to Serious Alternative Rock Artist. Produced in a dry, bare bones style by Rick Rubin the band's muscular beat and twitchy guitarwork came to the fore.

Magik captures the band in a variety of moods which makes the album seem longer than it is. The trademark funky punk shows up on the lead single "Give It Away" as well as the rambunctious "Suck My Kiss" and the mission statement "The Power of Equality". The Peppers reveal a softer side with acoustic based ballads like "Breaking The Girl" and their career peak smash "Under The Bridge" (who knew heroin addiction could be beautiful? Oh yeah, Kate Moss. Wait, that was Coke as pictured above). Other elements, such as pop reverie ("My Lovely Man"), slap happy rap ("If You Have To Ask") and sex sex sex ("Sir Psycho Sexy") get play here. The only element sorely missing is their goofball sense of humor (no "Magic Johnson" here) which manages to get tacked on at the end of the disc at the last second.

Flea is definitely the MVP of the band, his limber bass lines bump up well against Chad Smith's steady drums. Anthony Kiedis hadn't aged to the point his rap skills were beyond questionable while John Fruschante displays texture and energy in his guitarwork. I played this disc a lot that summer so it comes with a lot of memories, such as a friend who got me to listen to this band with an open mind due to his respect for RHCP. And now, one of the most overplayed videos of the early 90's...One More Time!

Red Hot Chili Peppers "Under The Bridge"

3 comments:

Arsenette said...

You remembered my post back when I mentioned that there are times I love songs from certain bands but don't exactly count them as "my favorite band?" .. THIS song from Red Hot Chili Peppers (Under the bridge).. I adore.. always have.. Thanks for the link :) LOL Mike yes I knew what the song was about.. I usually ignored the lyrics.. in fact .. I had the single that had the song instrumental :p

Black Crowes.. hmm.. I thikn the only song I heard was the one that hit the radio "Hard to Handle". I liked that one :)

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

I love the Black Crowes. Solid, southern blues/rock outfit. Typical story, too much drugs too much drink... no more music. I'm so glad they are trying it again.

I love, love, LOVE the Chili Peppers. One of my all time favorite bands. Strangely enough, I didn't much care for them at first. I think John Fruschante is one of the most under-rated guitarists of this century (and the last). Besides he's just fine to look at. Made the cut on my "You Sexy Thing" blog. HA! Not that that part matters to you Mr. Mike, I'm just saying...

BTW, I hope you and Mrs. Mr. Mike are feeling better. I was worried about you guys.

Mr. Mike said...

The Chili Peppers are a great band, I'm glad Fruschante came back because their chemestry was off without him. I liked how on Stadium Arcadium he started to get a little Hendrixy. I heard his version of the Bee Gee's "How Deep Is Your Love" and thought I would throw the link in here to copy and paste in case you haven't heard it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tKQWvNZT0k

"Under The Bridge" is a song where I didn't know the real meaning until I read it somewhere, I thought it was about homelessness before that. It really is a pleasant song, I bet the instrumental of it was terrific.

Thank you for your concern, Bunny and I are still recuperating but doing better than yesterday.