Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Cool Nights Listening To The Radio

Boom Box

When I first started listening to a lot of music, I used to sit down next to my Dad's 80's portable radio and listen to America's Top 40, 97.3 KRQR (The Rocker), 106 the Camel and K101. K101 was my Mom's favorite radio station, where I learned about theadult contemporary ways of Firefall, the heavenly taste of Ambrosia and the multitude of hits by Chicago. Radio was my roadmap to music, nice memories of listening in my parent's living room practicing my baseball swing. It was also where I heard Paul Davis, the master of the smooth ballad with smashes like "I Go Crazy" and "Cool Night". Mr. Davis passed away due to a heart attack today. So I thought I would post my favorite of Paul Davis' smooth pop, the doo wop diddy wop diddy wop do classic "65 Love Affair". I used to sit next to my radio and wait for songs like these to come on so I could tape them, commercial cut ins and DJ fade outs and all. It's another sad passing in pop music, Paul Davis made some great songs. RIP Paul Davis and thanks for the memories.

Paul Davis "65 Love Affair"

2 comments:

Arsenette said...

Omg.. I grew up listening to the radio (since I couldn't watch TV) and would listen to top 40 as well. THanks for the link to 65 Love Afair. I used to love that song. Back then I didn't know who was singing and what the proper titles were so I missed a lot! Mom was heavy into this kind of music at the time so I heard a lot of this sound. All of us (meaning my 2 older sisters and I) had a small transister (wow I don't know the spelling to that word LOL) radio attached to our crib. Mom has come to the conclusion that our personalities were derived from what music we liked LOL.

Mr. Mike said...

I like your mom's ideas about music in the crib and how it affects personality. My Mom liked The Beatles and my Dad liked classical so I often thought it made sense that I liked Yes. Or I may have missed the point completely. Oh well, glad to see there's another fan of that great song!