Friday, April 04, 2008

A New Song That Doesn't, Uh, Suck

I was all set to hate Vampire Weekend. They came out of nowhere to decend on the unsuspecting media with a flurry of press and a bucket load of hype. I've often had a negative reaction to bands that come up this way, I hated R.E.M. for years before I even heard their music because of the same type of over-exposure. And so it was with Vampire Weekend, even the name is annoying because they're not goth so it makes no sense.

But I'm older and can give things more of a chance now so I checked out their song "A-Punk". To my surprise, the song stuck with me and lived up to it's early New Wave meets Paul Simon's Graceland rep. So Vampire Weekend's "A-Punk" is the new song that rules!


Vampire Weekend "A-Punk"

2 comments:

Jeannie said...

I like their sweaters. I actually like this song too. It's like a cross between The Clash and The Beach Boys. Trippy!

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Elvis Costello crossed with Crowded House. With perhaps a teeny tiny touch of the Ramones. Yeah, that's it. Good song, tho. The video is very 80's, don't you think? Thanks for introducing me to some new music, Mr. Mike.