Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Re-u-ni-ted And It Feels So Manipulative...

Something I learned a long time ago was that as the media has progressed it became increasingly driven more towards wish fulfillment than actual reality. Sure all movies, music and television exists in a state called "suspension of disbelief" but as time goes on it becomes more specific and niche marketed. Combined with the attempt to simultaneously appeal to the broadest audience possible we end up with about twelve different pieces of media that really are the same program. American Idol is to Dancing with the Stars is to So You Think You Can Dance is to Search for a Pussycat Doll to the ultimate manifestation of this sing/dance for your supper or get voted away, Survivor. The Bachelor is to Rock of Love is to Flavor of Love is to The Bachelorette. The carnage of human emotion ranked, rated and prepared for our approval.

So why did I think about this stuff? Because for some reason I started watching High School Reunion on TV Land. A sort of Real World for the middle aged, it takes a High School class from twenty years ago and puts them in a house together along with the labels they had: Jock, Outsider, Rebel, etc. After watching this class of '87 get back together in a mission to regress two decades I found I kept watching it. Would two guys fight over an ex? Would the Jock get together with the girl next door? Then I thought, why do I care?

I didn't enjoy high school the first time, so why watch it replay now? Lot of questions, lots of questions. Its because it's wish fulfillment for old folks, the show makes you the fly on the wall of teenage drama happening to adults. I'm watching this girl who broke this guy's heart before propose marriage and then The Motels "Only The Lonely" kicks in on the sound (and Martha Davis is really there to sing it! Wow, someone needed work). It's a John Hughes moment ages later on a reality TV budget. Could have been worse, Stacey Q could have appeared to sing "Two Of Hearts". Wait, that would have been pretty cool!

This is a lot more thought than the program is really worth, yet it's fun to dissect what I'm watching from time to time. Television, the preacher the teacher. The shows over...I wonder what's on now?

5 comments:

Arsenette said...

I have totally never liked shows like this.. or even the real thing! So the idea that they are recreating my high school years is both stupid and unrealistic. I haven't seen the show.. I don't care to.. All I know if they reenacted mine.. it'd be a torturous dark drama LMAO! Besides everything is scripted no matter how they say they are not.. and more importantly... anyone that does fit it perfectly ought to have therapy.. because if they STILL act like high school idiots.. they haven't matured :p

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Amen, Elsie. My high school years reenacted would be a horror movie type thing. I hated school so much, starting at Kindergarten and going on thru my junior year (which was my last cause I had enough credits to get my diploma and who the hell would be stupid enough to go another year if they didn't have to? not me.) Seeing as how I skipped my senior year, I can't really imagine wanting to go back and do anything like it, or associate with any of the people i was forced to interact with on a daily basis back then. It was a painful experience, to say the least. Why in God's name would anyone ever want to re-live it???

Mr. Mike said...

I agree with both of you in principle. But I watched two episodes! Oh the shame...the shame...

Arsenette said...

I see Mr. Mike is into schadenfreude as well :)

pamwax said...

At this stage I would not want to see the people I went to high school with. They are a bunch of old people and I would rather hang out with you kids.