Friday, June 20, 2008

Friday Night Videos - Finest Worksong Edition

Show me the Bunny!

This is my second take on this post, the first go-round I had a bit of writers block because I don't think much about the 1990s in terms of entertainment. But, I've walked the dog and had a little late night air and now I think I can rewrite this a little better. So these two songs are about the feeling of getting up in the morning to go to work on days in the 90's when I didn't really feel like going. I still went in and gave 100% but sometimes wished I was somewhere else.

First is "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" by The Smashing Pumpkins. Led by dictator/band leader Billy Corgan, the Pumpkins fired off hard riffing alternative rock with braying vocals and strong melodies. For anyone who has been stuck in traffic on the way to work or trapped in an office desk or cubicle, this is a must have song.

Second is "Self Esteem" by The Offspring. Every morning, some guy in a Jeep would drive by our place blasting this song. The guy was obviously an arrogant jerk that insisted we all hear his one song. I imagined he was some kind of coffee achiever who tells co-workers how one song pumps him up every morning for work. The fact that his happiness was at the expense of the rest of the trailer park who may not have wanted to hear that song at 8 or 7:30 in the morning probably never occurred to him. Or maybe it did.

It occurred to me that this was the theme that I had but couldn't quite get at while writing the first version of this post. Everyone has days they would prefer not to work, that's just human nature. But most of the time I enjoyed working and when I didn't, I just listened to a little music to get me by. So, let's remember-be good to each other. And that's Springer's final thought.

Smashing Pumpkins "Bullet With Butterfly Wings"

The Offspring "Self Esteem"

No comments: