Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Mr Mike's High School Record Collection: Zebra - Zebra

The Breck hair of Mullets - Zebra!

I've been wanting to post about this record for a while now, in Hard Rock there aren't one hit wonders as often as there are one album wonders. In 1983, a power trio came from out of nowhere that blended the best elements of Led Zeppelin and early Rush. This band never heard a 70's rock sound they didn't like. I know, you're thinking Triumph. But no, I'm talking Zebra!

I heard Zebra came from the East Coast, led by singer / guitarist Randy Jackson (not the American Idol dude dawg). Jackson had a voice that could jump from a strident, confident tone to a Robert Plantish wail. His guitar playing was blazing yet tasteful. The other two guys were rock solid players and the band had a tight chemestry. How could they not, on the album cover they look like three heads linked together by the same hair.

Track by track, here's the Zebra classic:

1. Tell Me What You Want

My favorite track and second single from the album. A dramatic hard rock guitar riff drives this song with a great wailing chorus. The lead guitar parts head for the stratosphere with a sound similar to twin guitars. The song is so catchy it's stuck in my brain for the past 25 years. As you'll notice during this post, I never really understood Zebra's songs past the title of the chorus in most cases. I suppose he's talking to his girlfriend in this song, either way if someone screams like this you probably should tell him what you want.

2. One More Chance

A dynamic song that flashes between pastoral verse sections and a bracing chorus with excellent background vocals. Sort of like Rush's "Closer To The Heart" but with more singers and harder guitars. I like that relaxed vibe to instant urgency. Two songs into the album, Zebra can do no wrong.

3. Slow Down

A looser almost 50's rock groove complete with boogie piano. A freewheeling ride that provides a break from the regimented song structure of the previous cuts. Back in the day I couldn't get into this type of song but appreciate it more now.

4. As I Said Before

Classic late 70's styled Hard Rock with a heavy Zep influence. The descending groove and a chorus slightly reminiscent of "Good Times Bad Times". Has one of those choruses where it goes in circles "As I Said Before / and don't make me think about it / or I'll say it Again." Makes you want to buy a Camaro so you can drive out to the woods and get sloppy drunk.

5. Who's Behind The Door

The first single and best known song from Zebra. Acoustic guitars and a swooshing sound dominate this number. Synths and acoustic guitars, so early MTV. It brings out a feeling of looking into the night sky to ponder teenage life's mysteries. I never did figure out who's behind the door. (unless they're referring to the Green Door, but that's a different story).

6. When You Get There

Another killer 70's rock strutter, alternates between a choppy verse and a smooth chorus. At the time it seemed like they had riffs to spare. Again, I never analyzed the lyrics so I don't know what happens when you get there. Wherever "there" is. I grow tired of asking this, so it will be the last time: Where is the location of the Rebel base?"

7. Take Your Fingers From My Hair

A second acoustic song, sometimes Zebra can get pretty British rock sounding like here. The acoustic guitars lead to a charged electric guitar dominated second half. Lyrically one of those "you wronged me woman" kind of songs, but back then the only thing I got out of it was he didn't want his hair messed with. It was like, "Damn, I spent five hours and two bottles of conditioner to get my nice shiny 70's rock hair. I don't care that it's 1983. Take your fingers out of it!"

8. Don't Walk Away

Sort of a Boston kind of rocker, it's OK but I've never got that into this song.

9. The La La Song

Another one of my favorites on the album, if I was in a hurry I usually fast forwarded my tape from the end of "Who's Behind The Door" to here. Very Yes like to me, maybe because they often had these phonetic sort of lyrics. I also liked the end of the chorus where the voices echo "Tomorrow, Tomorrow, Tomorrow, Tomorrow" because in the 70's there used to be this commercial for some job training agency where the guy thinks to himself "I'll look for a job tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow."

After this album it looked like Zebra had a bright future ahead, but they had blown out all of their good material right here. The follow up was the disappointing No Tellin' Lies album which didn't have any truly memorable songs. They never could recover their lost momentum and became a forgotten band. That's too bad, because for one album they were golden.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great band i got the lp in the 80's

Mr. Mike said...

definitely a great band, one of those groups I wished I had seen live when they were around.