Friday, March 14, 2008

Touch Too Much?

Sometimes listening to new music at my age can be a Catch 22 in that I like the music that reminds me of what I've heard before yet when new bands come out, all I hear are the bands they're aping. So it goes with Airbourne, an Australian Hard Rock quartet whose CD my wife and I came across at Best Buy. The CD cover, with the outsized logo and imagery of a band running from a darkened prison conjured memories of 80's metal album covers past. Despite the instant impulse to buy the thing, we waited because we had no idea what it sounded like.

So while surfing the web tonight I decided to check out Airbourne. It turns out they sound dead on like another Australian band, AC/DC. It's not even a slight influence, I heard two songs and both sounded like Angus Young sat down and handed them music. Now they'res a saying Joe Perry had, "If you're gonna steal, steal from the best" and that definitely comes into play here. Airbourne walks a fine line with me, it's great to see a new young band rise up to play new songs in the classic hard rock genre. At the same time, I wonder what they sound like if they bothered to develop their own style. Shoot To Thrill indeed. In the end youthful enthusiasm edges out jaded cynicism by a hair. This will be the first song in my retitling of the Song of the Moment, I'm now going with New Songs That Rule. It's all a little too much for me to figure out right now, so here's a double shot of Airbourne. Apply directly to the forehead


Airbourne - "Too Much, Too Young, Too Fast"
Airbourne - "Diamond In The Rough"

2 comments:

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

The lead singer sounds more like Bon Scott than Brian Johnson, but yeah, AC/DC to the T. Wonder who produces them? Mutt Lange? HA!

Mr. Mike said...

Good one with the Mutt Lange comment! That's too funny.