Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Ultimate Actor of All Time...

Ode to a living legend

For me is the one, the only-William Shatner. Sure, there were times in my life where I thought my favorite actor was an Action star or someone else who could...well...act, but time has shown me that one actor always comes back to my viewing screen. As a kid, I was a huge fan of Star Trek and naturally Captain James Tiberius Kirk was an essential part of that. In the early 80s he was supercop TJ Hooker, the car hood ridin', hair piece flyin' ex Detective who was busted down to Street cop 'cause he was too freakin' real.

Of course, the Star Trek movies came out and regardless of whether he was in a good or bad movie, the Shat always gave 100%. Later, I came to appreciate his unique singing abilities after hearing his (inter)stellar version of "Mr Tambourine Man" while shopping at Tower Records . And just when it seemed his career would fade, Shat made a monster comeback. Following years of ridicule of His. Hammy. Acting. Style. it seemed he would become a has been. But The Shat got in on the joke with a series of cameos (3rd Rock From The Sun) and Priceline commercials.

So what is it about Shatner that makes him so great? It's the total self absorbsion, the hyper dramatic syntax and the raw bravery of someone really liking everything about himself. I just don't believe self acceptance is a problem for Shatner. And in doing so, he achieves both astonishing high points and really memorable low points in his facinating career.

There is no better illustration that Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. Shatner seemed tired of seeing Leonard "the logical one" Nimoy get the glory of directing Star Trek movies so He wanted his shot. Shatner co wrote, co produced and directed the follow up to the extremely successful Star Trek IV. So what did we get? Shoddy direction, flimsy special effects and plot holes larger than V'Ger. But what else did we get? A story that revolved entirely around Kirk, as he went free hand mountain climbing (Why? Because it's there.), alien horse back riding (Spock? Be one with the horse, Spock) and best of all questioning God to his face (cause the universe isn't big enough for the both of them). Pure hubris with a multi million dollar budget. It was both horrible and great at the same time.

And that's why William Shatner is the greatest actor of all time. He has something to teach all of us (or maybe just me). The Corbomite Manuever. And the feeling you can really go where no one has gone before out of sheer conviction.

(a side note, I'm not being entirely sarcastic Shatner really can act and has the Emmys to prove it. Also he had a small character role in a TV movie where he played Melissa Gilbert's Dad, it's my favorite Shatner performance.)

William Shatner montage

3 comments:

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Oh my God! I love Shatner! I used to could not stand him, but since he started with the Priceline gig I've really come to appreciate him. Plus, those shows he did for the Science channel or History channel (or whichever), "How Star Trek Changed The World", or whatever they were called. They were terrific.

BTW, did you ever see the Night Court episode where Bull is getting a hair piece? The Shatner 3000, I believe it was called. What a hoot!

Jeannie said...

Not that I like to encourage you to buy more music, but you really should get The Transformed Man and the ever so rareCaptain Of The Starship.

Mr. Mike said...

Hi SKW, I did remember that Night Court episode and I think it was called the Shatner 3000. That was really funny!

Hey Bunny, although I would like the Transformed Man I think I'll wait until the day comes that I can get "Rocket Man". I think it's gonna be a long, long time...