Saturday, March 08, 2008

An Unexpected Song of the Moment

Big Pimpin' with Anthony Edwards. He's got his mind on his money and money on his mind!

I was all set to blog on Alicia Key's new Prince styled single "Like You'll Never See Me Again" depressing video and all (it's about a fatal motorcycle accident. It manages to be more depressing than a full season of ER. I mean more relentless in it's sadness than that ER episode where Anthony Edwards dies. When Dr. Carter read Dr. Greene's last note and pinned it on the bulletin board, it was a real bummer. Remember Top Gun when Edwards died in a plane ejection accident? That was sad. Meg Ryan played his wife just before she became a big star so her entire role consisted of laughing and crying. What is it with Anthony Edwards and death anyway? They should have got Tom Cruise to reprise the Maverick role in ER just to shock people like when George Clooney suddenly showed up on the episode Juliana Margulies left the show. Am I going on about this too long? Yup, I am. Just like ER the show, it's still on. I stopped watching it like 5 years ago and while channel surfing came across a new episode. I was floored.) when I came across the new Snoop Dog video this morning. (I just remembered, you know what Anthony Edward's movie was cool? Gotcha! I used to like that movie a lot.)

I've never been into Snoop Dog (or is that Dogg? Not sure on that one)and usually don't care for rap beyond the occassional song. But I love me some 80's retro and Snoop Dog(g)'s new song is packed with it. The song itself is stuffed with talk box effects and an electronic hand clap beat like classic Zapp and Snoop talk/sings more than rap (except for a rap solo about 2/3rds of the way through. Sort of like a guitar solo but with rapping) while the video manages to reference Soul Train, Parliament Funkadelic's Mothership Connection album cover and Prince's "1999" and "When Doves Cry". The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire!


Snoop Dog(g) - "Sensual Seduction"

No comments: