Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Where Are They Now? I Don't Know, But They Were Once Steel Breeze!

I pity the fool who challenges me in Donkey Kong.

It's been a busy week, so i'm going to throw up (not literally) a quick post in it's easiest form-A Flashback!

One of the first songs I really liked a lot was this AOR classic from 1982. Steel Breeze's first single "You Don't Want Me Anymore" was a Top 20 single, powered by a way cool synthesizer line, extended guitar solos and muscle T shirts. It was as state of the art as a cassette walkman or ColecoVision, the cutting edge of mainstream Arena rock. They followed up with a second Top 40 hit, "Dreaming Is Easy" which was also very pleasant. Then, nothing. Steel Breeze just up and disappeared.

I guess they released more records but were universally ignored. I went looking for their Legendary (in my mind) appearance on Solid Gold but no luck, that's how forgotten they've become. Times became hard for the Steel Breezers and they haven't even been able to build any nostalgia mojo for a comeback. At their website, it looks like the band has changed so much that it's fronted by a Gwen Stefani impersonator (I'm not making this up! Their website is http://www.steelbreeze.info/).

Like one of my favorite movie quotes, "The brightest flame burns half as long" (Blade Runner) and Steel Breeze fizzled out within a year of their hit. But their one shining moment stands the test of time-here it comes now, hide your Vans!

Steel Breeze "You Don't Want Me Anymore"

2 comments:

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Good one Mr. Mike. I had totally forgotten about this song and this group. There were so many back then, eh? Easy come, easy go. Not so?

Mr. Mike said...

Poor Steel Breeze, not even having a singer that looked like Michael Douglas could save them.