Monday, March 03, 2008

This Summer The Man With The Hat is Back!

It's not the years, it's the mileage
"The Man with the Hat is Back" was actually the tag line to the last Indiana Jones movie about The Last Crusade which was supposed to be the final Raiders movie back in 1989. Now, nearly 20 years later the franchise is being revived for one last run of archaeology at the expense of the Third Reich in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (that's a mouthful!). The original Raiders of the Lost Ark was a mindblowing film on par with the original Star Wars when I saw it in 1980, one of those filmgoing experiences where you didn't know a movie could be this good. I don't know anything about the plot of the new movie, hopefully it still isn't set in the 1940s or it will be tough to explain why Indy aged so fast.

As soon as the theme music kicks in, it's hard not to feel the type of hyperactive excitement I felt for the original films. All those great film memories of being dragged behind a Nazi truck, "I hate snakes!", "No Mr Jones I expect you to die!!!"...wait, that last one was Goldfinger, I mean "They're digging in the wrong place!"...you get the idea. The Raiders series solidified my appreciation for the great Harrison Ford and all of the boring Random Hearts and Regarding Henrys can't take that away. Can Speilberg and Lucas get it together one last time? I think they have a shot based on this trailer. Between this and Iron Man, it's shaping up to be a great Summer Movie year. Indyyyyyy!!!


Indiana Jones 4 trailer

4 comments:

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Ahhhh... just like heaven...

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Seriously, I hope they put the franchise to bed with this one. They are all great movies, great escapes, but Harrison Ford is Indy and I would be so mad, as well as sad, if they tried to give the part to someone else. Like I said earlier, James Bond is Sean Connery and that's it. Well... Indiana Jones is Harrison Ford and that's all. No one will do it for me.

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Of course, you knew that I meant to type "no one else will do it for me", right?

Sorry about that, words are dropping like flies tonight. Can't type for anything. Maybe time to quit for the night, eh?

Mr. Mike said...

I knew what you meant and I hope this is the last one too. I didn't think this one would ever get made with Last Crusade being almost two decades ago. Since there's already been other Indys (the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles had like 3 different Indianas and the late River Phoenix as well) if this one makes money beyond the built in audience I guess we can expect more. But it won't be the same.