Monday, March 24, 2008

We All Need New Frontiiieeerrrrrsss

Tickle me Elmo!

Continuing my Top 100 CD list is one of my favorite bands, which makes sense since we're getting close to the top of the list-

Number 37: Journey Frontiers (1983)

It's hard to think of something new about Journey at this point since I've covered them a lot recently with their new lead singer and all. So, what can I say about Frontiers? How about it was the last truly great Journey album following their landmark Escape record. They were one of the most popular bands in America at this point and they rolled into their follow up with a similar approach to the previous record except with more synthesizers.

Side one of the tape was one of the best album sides I've ever heard: "Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)", "Send Her My Love", "Chain Reaction", "After The Fall" and "Faithfully". These songs are iconic in the Journey canon, so I won't bother to say much except "After The Fall" was the first appearance of Randy Jackson on bass (he did his thing, he worked it out). "Separate Ways" always sounded like aliens landing from outer space on the synth intro to me. "Chain Reaction" was my favorite on the album, a hard driving rocker with some slammin' synths.

Side two was a little spottier because two songs, "Only The Young" and "Ask The Lonely" were pulled off at the last second. The B side of the tape starts of strong with the guitar heavy "Edge Of The Blade" and then goes to the quiet, yearning ballad "Troubled Child". The awkward garage rock of 'Back Talk" followed and then the futuristic "Frontiers" came next. The album closed with the anthemic "Rubicon".

So many great memories to this album, not the least of which was buying the cassette and record over and over because they would get worn out or damaged. I used to have a copy of a radio broadcast from this tour when they played in Philadelphia that was phenominal. It's a classic record and my 37th favorite of all time.

2 comments:

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Not my most favorite Journey album. That would be Infinity (with Evolution a close second). But I have much more appreciation for this one now than I did back when my sister was wearing me out on it.

Mr. Mike said...

Infinity was a great album, I remember watching them play "Patiently" on the Midnight Special and being blown away. "Something To Hide" was my favorite from that album. That's my favorite one to sing at home (because my voice sounds even more brutal to listen to attempting Perry's high range).