Saturday, May 03, 2008

A Little TP For Your Mudcrutch?

Tom Petty has returned but in a different way, he's reformed his original band Mudcrutch decades after that band had broken up and morphed into Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Heartbreakers Benmont Tench (keyboards) and Mike Campbell (guitars) rejoin Petty (back on bass) with original drummer Randall Marsh and guitarist Tom Leadon (related to ex-Eagles Bernie Leadon). Their sound harkens back to the rootsy sound of early 70's rock like Creedence Clearwater Revival and The Band plus more than a little Dylan on this particular track. They've released a new album where the lead vocals are shared but of course the focus is on Petty, who sings lead on "Lover of the Bayou".

Mudcrutch "Lover of the Bayou"

2 comments:

Jim said...

I really enjoyed the first Mudcrutch album. It just has such a fresh sound- something that I haven't heard from Petty for a while. Don't get me wrong, I love most Tom Petty songs, but it seems he kind of lost his energy during the last couple of albums. I really enjoyed "Highway Companion", especially because of his work with Jeff Lynne, but it did seem to lack the sparkle of this Mudcrutch album.

I'm glad the album did well, but I do have to say that I don't agree with the repackaging of the album. I always feel like I'm not getting the whole picture when I buy an album, especially after Petty came out with that expanded edition of "Highway Companion" a few months after the initial release.

~Jim

The Laptop Sessions Cover Songs

Mr. Mike said...

Hi jim! I have to agree with you, unless it is a "classic" album I'm not a fan of companies double dipping with these expanded editions. Sort of like DVDs where there's five different versions of the same movie floating around. I've only heard two songs from the Mudcrutch album but liked them both, it sounds like the rest of it is good too from what you mentioned. I'll keep an eye out for the disc at an affordable price (or maybe if I wait long enough, they'll double dip that one into a Special Edition too). Thanks!