Monday, May 12, 2008

Wish For A Revolution?

I spent a lot of time staring at this album cover as a boy. I think I found their appearance interesting because I hadn't known anyone who looked like this. All sloppy and dirty, as a kid you look at this picture and think "someday I won't have to take baths either."

Thought I would kick off the two new features in one post, choosing one song from the '60's and another from the '90's. First up: Groovy Times with The Beatles.

It always seems like a cliche' to associate 60's Rock with The Beatles just because they were the biggest band ever in history. Their music has achieved a societal status that ranks as high as Elvis, Sinatra and Duke Ellington. But the reason I'm choosing a Beatles song isn't because of it's historical status but for personal reasons. "Revolution" was one of the first songs I ever listened to out of choice. My Mom had a Beatles album that included "Revolution" and as a kid I was really facinated with it. The loud burst of guitar at the start, the loping beat, the thought of a Revolution which to me would have been something like not cleaning my room at the time. Of course I didn't think in these terms at 7 or 8 years old, I just liked it because I did. It started loud and then the song seemed to go around and around. I have nice memories of sitting on the living room floor, staring at these four shaggy dudes on the album cover. Ultimately, I think what attracted me to the song was the feeling of freedom that is imbued in it. A feeling so strong even an atrocious Thompson Twins cover in the mid-80's couldn't kill it (but it came close). I'm glad I watched the video for this today, all these years I thought Paul McCartney sang this song.

Beatles "Revolution"

And now...Whoomp! There it is!! Even now, I have a tough time thinking of songs I like from the 1990's. So again I'll start off with a band I'm listening a bit to right now, Nine Inch Nails. I can't claim to being the Nail's biggest fan, I'm a casual listener who can take their Industrial Noise Rock in doses but not in large quantities. But while listening to their new album The Slip, I remembered I didn't have my favorite NIN song "Wish". When this song came on MTV, I found them visually tough to watch but really liked the sound. "Wish" was a dark, angry song (as all Nine Inch Nails songs are) that came at a low point in my life. It was a time where I was unemployed and the job market was really bad, I even had friends claiming it was the end of Western Civilization. Thankfully I was able to find work eventually, but the song is still good anyway. When you're out of work and things aren't going well in life, a song that starts off "This is the first day / of my last day" followed by a barrage of guitar sounds pretty meaningful.
.
Sort of the yin to The Beatles yang, "Wish" was anarchic where "Revolution" said you could count them out of destruction. The peacenik 60's versus the backlash against political correctness in the 90's, a pretty decent summation of those eras. Now I'm going to do some work so I don't get all mad and throw a Revolution.

Nine Inch Nails "Wish"

6 comments:

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Never could get into NIN. Then again, the whole 90's is something of a blur to me, musically.
Growing up my mother was an Elvis fan. Which meant, of course, that she wasn't a Beatles fan. How then, did she end up with the Beatles Rubber Soul album? Not to mention the Beatles Yellow Submarine album. Have you ever seen that one? Far out, groovy man, is all I can say. I stared at that thing endlessly as a kid/pre-teen. Fascinating. You really must try to find a picture of it. Front and back. BTW, did you ever see it? Those dudes were doing some serious drugs, weren't they? :)
One of my favorite Beatles songs, "In My Life" was on the Rubber Soul album. The whole album was pretty fantastic.

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Oh, here you go. The Beatles albums:

http://www.thebeatles.com/core/music/

Mr. Mike said...

I completely understand how you feel about the 90's, It took me about ten minutes to decide which song to do because I didn't think much of the music from that era past 1993. It was almost a Hootie night.

Rubber Soul is my Mom's favorte Beatles record, it agree it really is very good. "In My Life" is an excellent song, very poignant.

The album jacket to Yellow Submarine reminded me how much I liked watching the cartoon. Yeah, that's some serious dope to start thinking about the stuff on the album and cartoon. Thanks for the link, I haven't seen those images in some time.

For another trip, I recommend Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band starring Peter Frampton and the Bee Gees. Other than Aerosmith's appearance, it's a pretty painful excursion. What's sad is I don't think that movie was made under the influence of anything but greed.

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Bad movie, I agree, but the music was wonderful. Peter Frampton could sing "Old MacDonald Had a Farm" and make it sound good. (just my opinion)

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

confession time: I actually owned the Sgt. Pepper's movie on VHS at one time. (Peter Frampton, you see...) Owned most of his albums, too (on 8 track and cassette with a few 45's thrown in for good measure).

Mr. Mike said...

I like Frampton himself although I only know "the hits" for the most part such as "I'm In You" or "Baby I Love Your Way". A few years ago I saw triple bill show that included Frampton, "Lines On My Face" was a highpoint in an excellent show. He came across very friendly and amiable. Something positive from the movie that stood out to me musically was "A Day In The Life", I remember liking that song in the movie.