Friday, May 02, 2008

Top 10 Favorite Asia Songs That Isn't "Heat Of The Moment"

The classic band reunites to take a picture that uses the same wind machine they had in the 80's

I'm gearing up for one of those concerts I thought I would never see-the original lineup of Asia in concert! All those years ago...a quarter century ago to be exact, the original lineup fell apart dragging the band's career into a slow churn. But a lot can change in 25 years, just think some kid who was born in 1983 grew up in a world where Asia is only a large continent...that kid went to elementary school, middle school and high school. The kid probably went on a first date, got a first job, had children, appeared on Judge Judy for not paying child support and then busted on Cops for drunk driving. And after all that, John Wetton, Steve Howe, Geoff Downes and Carl Palmer finally decided to regroup as Asia.

Normally before a concert I like to list my ten favorite lesser known songs by the artist, but in Asia's case despite having four Top 40 hits their music is mostly forgotten with the exception of "Heat Of The Moment". So this list is my Ten Favorite Asia songs-excluding "Heat Of The Moment".

10. Don't Cry - The second of the band's Top 10 hits and the lead single from the Alpha album. "Don't Cry" was a blazing rush of drums, synthesizers and bellowing vocals. The video was a perfect match for the music, it was epic and grandiose with a touch of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

9. Wildest Dreams-It was the first song on the second side of the first Asia album. Wetton counts off the calamities of modern civilization while Palmer's drums pound away with rapid precision. Howe's guitar work slides and prances about while stabs of Downe's synthesizers highlight the action.

8. Never Again - The first song on the new album Phoenix and the most insistent cut there. Howe's playing displays a little bite while Wetton pledges his pacifist ways. "Never Again" delivers the goods Asia fans have been waiting for in the opening minutes of the disc.

7. Without You - A ballad from the first album, the song was unusual in that it had two different ways to sing the line "Without You". One of my favorite Asia instrumental breaks happens in the guitar solo as Howe's ascending sound is supported by Downes bright shiny synths and Palmer's bouncing drums.

6. My Own Time (Do What I Want) - Easily one of the catchiest bits from the Alpha album. A strong statement of personal freedom, though in this context it sounds like freedom from a bad relationship. Still love that chorus and lyrics about walking through snow and liking it.

5. Hard On Me- One of the best moments from the Astra album, a classy pop rocker that allows Carl Palmer to really show off. Always struck me a bit like a sports montage type of song, must have been those cascading keyboards.

4. Time Again - The hardest rocking Asia cut ever, Howe's ominous guitars lead into tricky band interplay with a touch of jazzy flair. All band members get to strut their stuff, trading off each other literally down to the note.

3. Go - The first single from the Astra album, the song proved Asia had lost its mojo commercially but I can't get enough of those churchy organ parts and anthemic "Go!" chorus. Although Mandy Meyer was a full member, his role in the band was purely as a sideman and rarely got much solo time making this song one of the few where he got to leave a mark.

2. Only Time Will Tell - Probably Asia's second best known song, the second single from the first album. The opening "trumpet" synthesizer leads to one of Wetton's most confusing choruses (I've read the lyrics but the words never stick. Is it "The word that rings around the room will echo when I diieeee?"). And who can forget the gymnastic video with the tv sets?

1. The Smile Has Left Your Eyes - This song has one of the most convoluted story lines of any Asia song, it really goes a long way to say "you cheated on me baby". Done in an almost Church Choral style, "The Smile Has Left Your Eyes" is my favorite Asia song. It even had a bit of Steve Howe in it (a rarity for the Alpha album), Wetton builds up to an American Idol worthy note at the end. I recorded myself singing this song as a teenager to see if I had any talent as I thought my voice would come close to Wetton's tone. When I played it for a friend, he laughed so hard he cried.

So on Monday history comes alive as I finally get to see Asia live in concert. This is the most exciting AOR fan wish fulfillment since I saw Toto in 1999. Like Asia once sang, days like these I feel like I can change the world.

5 comments:

"brad" said...

Hey Bro,
Great blog.
Can You find "My Own Time" by Asia? I had it on my blog but it's dead now.
"Brad"
hiddenfaces.wordpress.com

Mr. Mike said...

Hi Brad! Thanks for the compliments, I took a look around online but couldn't find "My Own Time", which is too bad because it's a great song. Sorry about that.

Anonymous said...

amazing Bengali Melody singer's free Music voice.
Have a good day

Unknown said...

Great list....!! I would add The Heat Goes On...... It's one of my top five favorites.

Unknown said...

Nobody seems to care about my fav,,, Never in a million years