Sunday, May 11, 2008

Midnight Madness 5/11/08

The new symbol for the City of Vallejo
.
It's Sunday which means it's time for a little Midnight Madness-

My City Was Gone - Vallejo CA, is now bankrupt. The largest city in state history to do so. How did that happen with Jeff Gordon claiming he's from Vallejo, couldn't they get some Jeff Gordon money? DC madams, endless Mayoral vote recounts, now bankruptcy...Vallejo-my kind of town!

The Radiohead effect - A lot of free music came out this week. Coldplay offered up their first single "Violet Hill" from their upcoming album for free on their website, the tune showed the group moving in a slightly darker direction. '90's punkers The Offspring did the same for their song "Hammerhead" which revealed that band was going back to basics with their sound. But the real boon was Nine Inch Nails offering up a full album, The Slip, for free as a thank you to their fans.

Spider Man - A new species of spider has been named after classic rocker Neil Young. Young always did have a thing for Mary Jane.

Wino Royale - Amy Winehouse was busted for drugs again and either turned down or was turned down for the singing the next James Bond theme. I guess the title You Only Crank Twice is now out of the question. Though they sound nothing alike, her album is looking more and more like Nirvana-In Utero to me (still like it though). Maybe she should take her cues from her predecesors...

Network TV is the new Rehab - First Britney Spears started making appearances on the Tv show How I Met Your Mother and now Lindsey Blowsmack...um, I mean Lohan, is going to be on Ugly Betty. Next, Amy Winehouse will make an appearance on Cops - Las Vegas. You know what would be great? If they brought back Celebrity Boxing and had Winehouse fight Lohan over a vial of Coke. Winehouse said "I'll knock the freckles off your face!" while Lohan responded "I'll hit you so hard your weave will be back in style!" Two girls enter, one girl leave.

If You Love Your Bandmates, Set Them Free - The Police have announced their farewell show to be held in New York. Proceeds will go towards the Sting Will Save The Planet By Purchasing It After This Final Cash In foundation. No more destroying the rainforests, it's all Sting's now. Plus, with every tree you save you get a free CD single of "Desert Rose!" Sting...he is the man.

The New Kids On The Block are back- Ok, the first question I have is: Why?

Some New Features - I've felt I often neglect music not from the 70's or 80's because my listening habits tend to begin and end there but think I do want to represent a little variety in my posts so I'm going to add two features soon. So I thought I would occassionaly feature songs from the 60's and 90's just to mix things up. The 60's posts will be titled Groovy Times and the 90's will be titled Whoomp! There it is!!

To close out this post, here's a little Pretenders for you-

The Pretenders "My City Was Gone"

2 comments:

Arsenette said...

LOL about NKOTB.. I grew up with them.. and I knew they were just a Menudo/Jackson 5 rip.. I think I still have most of their cassettes though.. Hey if Backstreet Boys came back and made a killing.. why not them? It's not like they are on wheelchairs like the Rolling Stones... Doesn't mean either I will be listening LOL

P.S. LOL on the Mary Jane reference.. that's cold! LOL

Mr. Mike said...

Hi Arsenette! I'm usually a sucker for anything for 80's retro but I just could not get excited for NKOTB. Though it should be fun to see them try to pull off "Hangin' Tough" in their 30s, particularly if they do that old arm swinging dance from the video. But you have a good point, the Rolling Stones have removed the manditory retirement age for young bands.