Sunday, May 25, 2008

Midnight Madness 5/25/08

Stevie Nicks takes a bow for her big day.
.
It's Memorial Day weekend and I'm feeling like a Superdelegate! There isn't much going on in the world of entertainment right now so briefly we'll go on through the Midnight Madness.

Happy Birthday, White Winged Dove - VH1's website says Monday May 26th is Stevie Nicks birthday. Ms. Nicks will undoubtedly celebrate by burning scented candles, writing a poem about water lilies and maybe some scarf shopping. But seriously, she's an awesome talent and her birthday is tomorrow. Rock on witchy woman!

Denise Richards has a reality TV show - And now we can see if she's as bad an actress off camera as on. Plus, Richard's friends can watch her steal their husbands in real time. Maybe Joey Greco will host?

Draw The Line - Steven Tyler goes back to rehab. He's been rumored to be off the wagon for years now, sad to see there was some truth to it.

Cooking with Gas - American Idol David Cook's first single goes to #1 on ITunes. Can he resussitate the American Idol winner franchise? Or will Ruben Studdard have company in the guest singers slot of the show next year? If Cook has to remake a Kenny Loggins song for contestant eliminations next year, can I put in a request for "Danger Zone"?

Apple Records - Not since the Beatles has the word Apple been closely associated with music, but their commercials have become the launching pad for many new artists. The most recent one, The Ting Tings "Shut Up and Let Me Go" with it's Franz Ferdinand style stomp is stuck in my head and the Coldplay ad with silhouetted band members against a colorful backdrop is fantastic. Still like those Feist and Yael Naem songs too.

Chris Gaines part 2 - Green Day released a new album under a different band name, Foxboro...something or other. Ever since Garth Brooks did it musicians don't feel like they've made it unless they can create an alter ego.

What Time Is It? - I can't believe I watched the Grammys and missed The Time reunion, I saw the Rihanna part and didn't notice the backing band at all. They're starting to play more shows now, I wonder if they can still do that electric slide move. That was cool!

Bringin' On The Heartbreak - The glut of Def Leppard media on VH1 Classic has brought back memories of original guitarist "Steamin" Steve Clark. Clark's guitar was part of the heart of Def Leppard, his style was both ragged and polished at the same time. A lot of emotion in his playing, whether it was the excitement of the opening riff to "Photograph" or the sad solo to "Bringin' On The Heartbreak" Clark's guitar always had a sense of honesty that no mountain of overdubs could bury. While Vivian Campbell has been an excellent replacement for Clark, it's hard to replace an original like him.

Neon Knights! - Some Kinda Wonderful was nice enough to post some Dio for me to listen to, so I thought I'd return the favor with some Black Sabbath, er, I mean Heaven & Hell to rock out to. I'm not the biggest Sabbath fan so I see no blasphemy in calling the Dio version by the same name. See, I said "blasphemy" because Black Sabbath has an evil reputation and...hey, I see everyone shaking their head in disgust. This is comedy gold people!

Black Sabbath / Heaven and Hell "Neon Knights"

8 comments:

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Why thank you, Mr. Mike, how nice of you. Love the Dio, Knights, Sabbath, song. Ronnie James Dio is the coolest little garden gnome ever, isn't he? And I swear, are Jimmy Page and Tommy Iommi morphing into the same person? They both have that "look". Perhaps that look is de rigueur for the elder statesmen of Rock N Roll. (I am not being snarky, I mean that with utmost respect to both masterful, and iconic musicians.)

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Oh yeah, isn't Vivian Campbell the king of replacement guitarists or something? Hasn't he been in several bands? (still not being snarky, just asking.)

Mr. Mike said...

Hi Some Kinda Wonderful! Thanks for the questions and feel free to be snarky if you want to, I enjoy snarkiness. Occasionally I personally write something that's more mean than funny so I tend to self edit a little to keep the mood light. But I love to poke fun at things and be snarky, particularly about the rock stars I've spent a lot of time and money on.

I never noticed Tony Iommi and Jimmy Page morphing before, but I think you're right. Bonus trivia, recently I found out that Iommi is missing the tips of his fingers on one hand from an accident at his old job. He changed his playing style that resulted in the Black Sabbath sound.

Vivian Campbell is almost the king of replacement guitarists, he is also one of my favorite pieces of Whitesnake trivia (he joined as John Sykes replacement). Campbell appeared in four videos and participated in a world tour but recorded absolutely nothing with the band. He went to form Shadow King with Lou Gramm before joining Def Lep as Clark's replacement.

But I think the real king is Reb Beach. He started with Winger, joined Dokken replacing George Lynch. Then he joined Whitesnake replacing...who hasn't played in Whitesnake? Recently, he replaced Jeff Watson in Night Ranger but just left that gig as well.

Mr. Mike said...

...And I hope you don't think badly of this snarky joke, but with Tommy Iommi and Jimmy Page morphing together could it be...Satan? (Dana Carvey Church Lady echo)

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Bwahahaha! Actually, I did know that about Iommi. That's how you know you have the genuine Iommi and not some Vivian Campbell rip-off. :)
Sorry, couldn't resist.

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

And as long as we're being snarky... that picture of Stevie Nicks is scary to me. She was always kinda scary looking to me, but that one is one of her worst. And too, I always found it sort of weird that a grown woman would get so seriously into the world of "make believe" but then again, I guess that's pretty much what the world of rock n roll is. So I forgive her. :) She still scares me, tho. Like clowns and the evil Fox News puppet people.

Mr. Mike said...

My brother used to say the same thing when we were growing up, he would complain that the "Stand Back" video scared him when Nicks would go off towards the end.

I like Nick's gypsy woman mystique, but to explain a grown woman living in a world of make believe I would say it adds up to the following- Hippie idealism + more Coke than Columbia = songs about Welsh Witches and Crystal Visions. However, unlike say Jon Anderson of Yes, Nicks symbolism and flights of fantasy have an emotional core based in reality in almost all her work.

And if Stevie Nicks quits Fleetwood Mac, will Vivian Campbell dye his hair blond to replace her?

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Well... maybe he could... :)