Friday, August 29, 2008

Friday Night Videos - Lynyrd Skynyrd Nite

If not for the Allman Brothers, they would have been the definitive Southern Rock band.

Kid Rock is currently moving up the charts with his hit All Summer Long , basically a mash up of Warren Zevon's Warewolves of London and Lynyrd Skynyrd's Sweet Home Alabama . I don't begrudge Rock his hit, but I do think it shows that to most people Skynyrd begins with Free Bird and ends with "Alabama". I was once in this club but eventually came to know a lot more of their music. My wife got me into Skynyrd a little later in life (she put "Free Bird" on a mix tape for me) and over the years I've become a fan of the band I previously just thought of as "that group with the guy that was related to 38 Special".

So, to emphasize some different Skynyrd out into cyberspace, I'm going to highlight two of my favorite songs of theirs. The first is the heavy strutter "Gimmie Back My Bullets", which sounds like its about guns but is really about Billboard chart placement. The second is "Call Me The Breeze" which sounds great blaring through car speakers as you drive thru the countryside. The triple guitar attack of Gary Rossington, Steve Gaines and Allen Collins is the stuff of legend and Ronnie Van Zant's songwriting is both personal and universal. One of the greatest rock bands ever.

Lynyrd Skynyrd "Gimmie Back My Bullets"

Lynyrd Skynyrd "Call Me The Breeze"

No comments: