Saturday, August 02, 2008

Friday Night Videos - Black Crowes vs. Gretchen Wilson

The Redneck Woman will face down the Warpainted Black Crowes in court.

I read the news today, oh boy...great, now whoever owns the rights to that song can sue me. Anyway, when my wife and I were watching tv this morning an advertisement came up for the Holly Hunter tv series Saving Grace that was backed by a new song from hard rockin' Country girl Gretchen Wilson. I thought "That's a good song" and was impressed with it to the point I thought I would wait for the official release to see if the rest of the song was as good.

So I looked at Billboard magazine news just now and the story is that The Black Crowes are suing Gretchen Wilson for that very song I just heard. They claim that Wilson's song "Work Hard, Play Harder" bears a strong resemblence to their early minor hit "Jealous Again" (which is one of my favorite Black Crowes songs). While I hear similarities between the two songs I think I'm a little biased just because I liked what I heard today. So I'm putting both songs here in case anyone wanted to hear both tracks side by side. There's lots of different ways to look at this, is Wilson copying the Crowes, are the Crowes trying to ride Wilson's coattails and weren't the Crowes just copying Rod Stewart era Faces with that song anyway? Hmmm...I just can't decide. I just know that I'm Jealous Again because I Work Hard and Play Harder.

Black Crowes "Jealous Again"

Gretchen Wilson "Work Hard, Play Harder"

4 comments:

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Can't stand her. Won't even listen to it, sorry. That's just the way it is. When I look at her I just want to slap her.

To the point tho, the person/persons who ought to be doing the suing is/are the folks on that Speed network show "Trackside". I believe that old Larry McReynolds is the one who coined that phrase "Work hard, Play Hard" and did the whole thing with his hands and all... I don't know, maybe she gives them props in her video or whatever. Like I said, I can't stand her so I didn't watch it. You can tell me later, if you want.

That is one of my most favorite Black Crowes tunes. But I love them. They are so funky and groovy and it was a real bad deal when they decided to get stupid and break up the band and waste all those years NOT making music. Glad they are getting back to it.

Mr. Mike said...

Hi some kinda wonderful! Thanks for the trivia on "Work Hard, Play Hard" I never knew where that phrase came from. I think Gretchen Wilson is OK with a couple of good tunes, her singing on Heart's "Barracuda" at a VH1 Rock Honors was the best thing she ever did, but I understand if you don't like her because sometimes a performer will just be annoying to me too. Like James Taylor. Lots of people love James Taylor, I think he's musical narcolepsy.

I'm glad the Crowes are back together, they're a great band!

pamwax said...

I like Wilson...is anyone suprised. One of my favorite shows is Saving Grace. 2 favorites in one blog---fantastic.

Mr. Mike said...

Hi Pamwax! Glad you enjoyed the post, thanks!