Sunday, August 03, 2008

Midnight Madness-No Scrubs Edition

All these years I never saw this show, now I'm somewhat hooked in a lazy sort of way. Like if it's on, I'll watch it now. I wouldn't record it or go out of my way for it though, it's not like it's the best show ever made. It did let me know what happened to the second girl to play Becky on Roseanne. Roseanne was a good show until the last two seasons, they really went off the deep end at that point with winning the lottery and being millionaires and what not. You ever see that movie Garden State with the Scrubs guy? That was pretty good, I thought it was Natalie Portman's best performance, much better than V for Vendetta. The soundtrack wasn't bad, you know, it was famous for getting people like me to listen to The Shins. Newwww Slaanngg...ba ba da ba da. Is this going on too long? Yeah, it's going on too long. Time to end this. Finito. Fin. El endo. cerrado. sayonara. arrivedechi.

Thank you Bunny! - I somehow managed to delete my ITunes library from the hard drive this week. My wonderful wife got a program so I could move songs from my IPod back to the hard drive. Yay!

All Because of You - U2 is rumored to have a new album ready for a possible November release with the potential title No Line on the Horizon. One of the greatest active bands in Rock returns! And the album title is shorter than How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb by one word. Yes!

Hold on Buck-O! - Is what Richie Cunningham would say if he found out Lindsey Buckingham planned to release a new CD just two years after Under the Skin. Buckingham hasn't been this prolific since 1982. I watched a lot of Happy Days growing up. Does it show?

The Word of Genius - Recent interviews with Rick Springfield to promote his new disc Venus in Overdrive have popped up at some of my favorite sites, Melodicrock and Popdose . Awesome!

Up in Smoke - The legendary comedy duo Cheech and Chong are reuniting to do a comedy tour. I like Cheech and Chong, but will their stoner humor still strike a chord with fans twenty years later? I just remembered Tommy Chong was doing the stoner schtick on That 70's Show - OK, it should still be funny. In other news, rapper Snoop Dogg's tour bus was checked by Police resulting in two arrests for possession of Marajuana. Harsh buzz!

I Saw it on TV - Tv commercials is the new radio and a recent ad has gotten me hooked again on the recent Lenny Kravitz album by including the stomping title track in a commercial. Peace and buy stuff!

Like You'll Never See Me Again - R&B songstress Alicia Keys has teamed up with White Stripes leader Jack White to record the theme song to the upcoming Bond film Quantum of Solace. It's hard to imagine these two voices together, but Keys is pretty adaptable. Awkward!

But will you respect me in the morning? - Katy Perry has been on top of the charts with her vampy hit I Kissed A Girl for about six weeks now. It's shaping up to be the hit of the Summer, like this year's "Umbrella". I wonder if sales of Cherry Chapstick have gone up as well?

Thunderstruck - AC/DC have announced an 18 month tour in support of their upcoming album. Angus!

Mini TV Reviews - Just a few capsule reviews about TV shows I've seen in the past week.

  • Gene Simmon's Family Jewels - Sort of the Hogan Knows Best of Rock music before the Hogan's imploded. Gene does his sleazy thing while ex Playmate Shannon Tweed looks on amused and their kids do normal teenage rich kid stuff. It's OK.

  • Swingtown - The swingin' 70's are brought out with multiple couples looking to do key parties with each other. This was done before and much better by Ang Lee in The Ice Storm (1997). Swingtown always stays Uptown when it should be going Downtown if you know what I'm saying and I think you do.
  • Scrubs - This show was on for years and I never watched it. The other night we saw it on TV and it had this great part where Colin Hay (Men at Work) sings "Overkill". I've seen a second episode now, it's not too bad. I guess it is better than Wings, which is the show I used to equate it to because I never felt the need to watch it.

  • South Park - used to be really funny, I watched two episodes and Imaginationland this weekend and was mostly bored. My brother loves this show and I'm sure will disagree with me, but I say it's time to kill Kenny once and for all. You bastard! (bastard being me, not you)
To close, here's Colin Hay's appearance on Scrubs. Great stuff.

Colin Hay "Overkill"

6 comments:

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Hot Dog! An ac/dc tour! Maybe I can see them THIS time. Oh please, please, please.... with a cherry on top...
Yummy yummy, new U2. I have loved them since Boy. or was it October??? Long before they got superhumongous, anyway... perhaps they will tour also???

Didn't Bjork do a song called "I kissed A Girl"? I'm pretty sure she did. Or maybe it was someone else. But it wasn't this girl. I actually liked the other one. Wish I could think who did it. It was kinda cute and the people in the video were dressed up kinda Barbie-ish and campy. This song just kinda grossed me out. Am I homophobic? I don't think so. I have lesbian friends and relatives. It just ain't my thing, I guess. :) No offense meant to anyone.

That is perhaps my absolute favorite Men at Work song (and I was a huge fan). I love his voice. It's so strange. No one sounds like him even remotely.

Thanks Mr. Mike. Great post. Terrific. I enjoyed it a lot.

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Jill Sobule - "I Kissed a Girl"

http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?vid=33806

Mr. Mike said...

Hi some kinda wonderful! I hope you get to see AC/DC, I think I've mentioned before they were the best concert I've ever seen. Nobody rocks harder! No offense taken on my part regarding "I Kissed a Girl", it's funny because between this song and Katy Perry's previous song "Ur So Gay" she seems to have offended everyone equally. Thanks for the link to the Jill Sobule song, I haven't heard it in a long time. And "Overkill" is an awesome song, I also liked "Be Good Johnny" a lot which is the theme to Supernanny I think.

Jeannie said...

You're welcome, honey.

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for a new U2 album.

Mr Mike, there's an acoustic album of 80's hits sung by the original artists. Called Stripped 80's. Check out itunes.

Mr. Mike said...

Thanks for the tip frontrow! I checked it out a little bit, it sounds good. The Howard Jones song took me back to when I saw him in the late 80's, great performance.