Tuesday, August 12, 2008

From Zero to Hero - the Force is with you

See those colored dots? Think about 50 more dots moving at you in warp speed while you try to press the matching colored dot on your double AA battery guitar. You've got Dragonforce fever!

Continuing with a focus on new music this week, here's a band so unreal it's real:

This past Christmas when I got Guitar Hero 3 as a present, it was the first time I had played any game in the Guitar Hero series. My wife and I had a great time rockin' to classic tunes like "Mississippi Queen" and burying Tom Morello (Rage Against The Machine) in a guitar challenge. When we got to the end of the game, we felt satisfied that we had beaten Slash, Morello and Satan-conquering the world for rock and roll.

So the credits rolled and music played like they do at the end of a lot of video games. But while I watched the credits, I realized something: the game wasn't over. It was a trick, the little multicolored circles that represented notes were still flowing in a pattern that matched the music! I tried to play along but the song was moving too fast for this old man and my awesome plastic hero guitar made those squonk and gurgling noises that happen when you miss the note by a mile. Notes flew through the screen like I was strapped in a jet plane zipping over Skittles colored mountains. There was an insane amount of shredding going on and I had to stop because it was just crazy to try and keep up. I was convinced that this song was made up for this game just to mess with people. Dragonforce? What kind of made up name is that?

While I was reading Jeb's blog a while ago I found out that it was actually a real band that did this song and they really were called Dragonforce. He mentioned they have a new song and album coming with the unfortunate title Ultra Beatdown. So I downloaded the song Through the Fire and Flames from Guitar Hero 3 and have found it's a great song to exercise to (I still can't play it on GH3 though, I'm just too slow). And the video for their new song "Heroes of our Time" gives a second helping of speed-of-light shredding, Viking vocals and pummeling rhythms. Sometimes they riff so fast it sounds like a Pochinko game. Which reminds me, is there a Guitar Hero setting easier than Easy? I still need to finish that song!

Dragonforce "Heroes of Our Time"

11 comments:

Jeannie said...

I can probably play the song on easy. Otherwise, forget it. By the time Satan is done with me, I'm whipped!

Nice post, honey. It's a cool, cool song.

Arsenette said...

Oh yeah.. Hubby had the same problem when beating it .. then credits rolled.. and THAT thing came on..

Some trivia.. Dragonforce CANNOT play this song live.. because they sped it up during recording... yep.. it's faked.. well.. they recorded it slow.. then sped it up.. they got a lot of flack for it.. but I still like the song. Just don't expect HUMANS to be able to play that.. oh yeah.. if you have this on Xbox.. check out one of the achievements.. "InHuman" or something like that.. it's basically playing this song.. perfect...

Arsenette said...

Oh wait.. I forgot to say.. play it perfect.. on the highest difficulty.

I still love "Slither" from Velvet Revolver.. dunno why.. just do :p Man I love Xbox Live..

Arsenette said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Through_the_Fire_and_Flames

There we go :) Yay I found links to hubby's story!

Jeb said...

Dragonforce cannot play ANY of their songs live. They're always drunk on stage, and they speed it up in the studio. I still like their music though.

Mr. Mike said...

Hi Arsenette and jeb! Thanks for the trivia, I think on jeb's blog they were nicknamed Studioforce because they can't play live. It's always disappointing when a band can't live up to its own hype. I just take it to be like the equivalent of Boston. Boston is one of my all time favorite bands, but in the studio it was mostly Tom Scholz writing, playing and recording everything. When I saw them live, they replicated the sound perfectly but couldn't get the same feel because it was now five musicians instead of one. So what should have been great was incredibly dull instead. Brad Delp still ruled though. And I do enjoy Dragonforce's studio creations. But now I don't feel bad that I can't play it on Guitar Hero. Thanks!

Jeb said...

You have to check this out on youtube mike! It's called Herman Li is cool. Hilarious!

Mr. Mike said...

Hi jeb! I watched the clip, that was great. I could use an enhancement pedal that makes Super Mario sounds on the guitar, that would be amazing!

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Betcha Yngwie could play it. :) He could play ANYTHING. Fast.

Mr. Mike said...

Yngwie Malmsteen is awesome, I used to love that song he did with Alcatrazz called "Hiroshima Mon Amor" or something like that. I just remember him playing a solo with a big wind machine blowing at him. Awesome stuff!

Jeb said...

I love Yngwie Malmsteen!