Friday, August 15, 2008

Friday Night Videos - New Music Week

Paying the fare to Death Cab for Cutie, Zooey Deschanel expands her indie dominance from films to music.

The week is winding down so here's two more songs from this year, both of these bands generated a bit of buzz over the past few months.

First up is Death Cab For Cutie whose new disc Narrow Stairs had a buzz before it was even released. Stairs was going to be the deal breaker for fairweather fans, maybe even their loyal following, it was going to be their most challenging effort yet. It was also going to be the best album of 2008 and was still given this title in some post release reviews. For me, I hopped on and off the Death Cab with Transatlanticism (I need you so much 'sniff' closer in 2003) which I enjoyed a lot but very little from their follow up Plans (2005) grabbed me. They defiantly released the epic length "I Will Possess Your Heart" as the lead single earlier this year which wasn't bad. It had a nice glowing feel and ditched their trademark winsomeness. Now their second single "Cath" has an echoey sound that reminds me of the early 90's Seattle bands like a lost tune from the Singles soundtrack. The video is pretty good too, it looks like Lukas Haas is the main actor though I didn't look it up so I could be wrong. This Death Cab may be worth catching.

The second vid is a duo buzzed about more for the singer's identity than the actual music. Actress Zooey Deschanel teamed up with M Ward to form the indie pair She & Him. Deschanel had a following as the 20 something thinking guy's dream girl for her roles in films like Almost Famous (2000), All the Real Girls (2003) and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005). Together with Ward they perform mild and pleasant Beatlesque pop. The music actually can stand on its own merits making the buzz they gathered worthwhile. And it helps to have an actress for the video!

Death Cab for Cutie "Cath"

She & Him "Why Do You Let Me Stay Here?"

2 comments:

Some Kinda Wonderful said...

Oooo, noooooo... please let me out at the next corner! No, just pull over here and let me out! I tried Mr. Mike, I really did, but that repetitive guitar was just like a drill... besides, the word "cath" is a medical term, to me... if you know what I mean, not someone's name. And I have a real negative view of weddings and marriage so... that pretty much just turned me off. That guys singing voice really turned me off too. But I did try to listen. I DID. I just didn't like it. Sorry.

Ringo Starr. After the Beatles. Annoying voice, tho. Jeez... did I forget my meds again? Sorry Mr. Mike, I love your post, but not the music. See you later. :)

Mr. Mike said...

Hi some kinda wonderful! No problem with not liking the music, I appreciate you giving it a try. Thanks for the compliment on the post, but I actually like your post better! The part about Cath meaning Catheter (sp?) cracks me up (is it wrong to say it takes the piss out of the song? No, I think that's accurate.) I better stop, I'm going into intellectual bathroom humor. I still like the song, but I think I'm gonna laugh a little when I hear it now. I need more Cath Stat!